Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Under weight??? HELP PLEASE!

rich

Reaction score
hi guys/gals,
i have a new axie, got it on thursday 20th, were i got i from i no they only fed it once a week, and was told to do the same, yet after reading many posts on here, and info on the axie web site, i understand i should be feeding every 2-3 days?

i have also read that the axies body should be the same width of the head, is this correct? if so my axie is really underweight, its head, from cheek to cheek, is just under 1.5 inches, and its body at its fattest is about an inch (1inch) so should i fatten it up? feeding every day?

also i understand i can feed frozen foods, blood worm brine shrimp extra, and also live foods blood worm brine shrimp ect, but also worms and snails. i have also read about feeding meal worms..... would i cut of the heads? would this be the normall sized meal worms or the giant meal worms? and what about wax worms?.....??? i would love a varied diet so love to no all i can feed.

also, how much should i be feeding in one sitting? on saturday i fed 1 cube of blood worm, (and there small cubes) and then 1 medium sized earth worm from my garden (which it loved! :D) should i be feeding more or less? when it is not underweigh....if it is....

by the way, my axie is just under 7inches, and is a albino (with rather pale colloured gills...is this normall?)

please help! thanks

rich

Reaction score
how much a day? untill it refuses? an all in one sittin? or feen in mornin till not iintrestin an then again at nite?

madeve

Reaction score
From all I've read I would try earthworms as they seem to be more nutritious, maybe a couple in the morning and you could try again in the evening if your axie is interested (which it probably will be).
As far as the gills go it seems like most axie have more colorful gills when they are active, mine has very bright pink gills at feeding time but the rest of the time they are a bit more pale.
Hope this helps.

rich

Reaction score
From all I've read I would try earthworms as they seem to be more nutritious, maybe a couple in the morning and you could try again in the evening if your axie is interested (which it probably will be).
As far as the gills go it seems like most axie have more colorful gills when they are active, mine has very bright pink gills at feeding time but the rest of the time they are a bit more pale.
Hope this helps.

thanks, and when u say a couple, u mean as many as he is intrested? or like 2? and should i chop them and hand feed? or just let him eat it whole? thanks again

madeve

Reaction score
two should be fine and you shouldn't need to chop them unlessyour axie can est them whole but you can always use tweezers or chopstick to offer them.

Levo

Reaction score
thanks, and when u say a couple, u mean as many as he is intrested? or like 2? and should i chop them and hand feed? or just let him eat it whole? thanks again

Depends how big the worm is to the axolotl. Sometimes it would be advisable to cut up the worm if you axolotl is too small to handle a big one. I sometimes feed by hand which is easy, or sometimes just pop the worm in and let it wriggle around before it catches the attention of my axolotl. Can you get some pictures of your axolotl?

rich

Reaction score
i will add them ASAP, its just my phone is broken and have to use family, but there away for the weekend. and thanks again for the help guys

RICH123

Reaction score
Is it me or do most axie suppliers have no idea on care of them, my supplier used to tell me to keep the tank at 27c and to make them morph after two years by adding UV light an puutting them on land,
hope he didnt tell anyone else to do so

kapo

Reaction score
If you start finding regurgitated food in the tank within a couple of hours or overnight then s/he may be getting too much food, so just cut back a bit. Most axies, not all, will continue to eat or gorge themselves and won't think about stopping then will regurgitate any extra food they've eaten.

rich

Reaction score
i was told to feed my axies once everyday...

am i over feeding them then?:confused::confused:
from what ive learnt from this forum... an adult should be fed 1-2large worms every 2-3 days, as a jevie, everyday can be fine, but if u just keep an eye out for any regeurgitation, so little and often should be ok, ....i am only a newbie myself, so any one please correct me if im wrong.

Lisa

Reaction score
Robbie, if you're trying to fatten up an axie, I'd feed it daily, or in your case, with a sick one that hasn't eaten for a while, I'd also feed daily for a few weeks. Just be diligent with poo cleanup :p more food equals more poo.

robbie257

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie, if you're trying to fatten up an axie, I'd feed it daily, or in your case, with a sick one that hasn't eaten for a while, I'd also feed daily for a few weeks. Just be diligent with poo cleanup :p more food equals more poo.

ok so for a healthy grown adult axie.. how much should i feed them...

i feed them blood worms... they come frozen in little cubes... the size of a little cube of cadbury chocolate... and yeah i TRY and feed them once a day...

homer eats well..

but as Gertie is in the fridge... and prior to being fridged she hadnt eaten for 4 days... i think id be wasting my food by trying to get her to feed...

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Try feeding them some other foods such as: earthworms, slugs, snails(shells removed), prawns, woodlice(slaters), liver (cut into thin strips) and slivers of fish.
I feed my two until they refuse anymore. I feed once a day. Mine are aged between 7 -9 months.

rich

Reaction score
thanks guys, he/she is fattening up niecly now :) ..an ive removed the gravel.. just waitin till i get more money to sort the tak out as its a bare tank floor now, but thanks all the same! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1