Need Identification help

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan
I have a fairly mature salamander larva that I found the other day in a spring out at my uncle's house. The larva is elongated and is yellow. It has two dark lines running down its sides starting from its neck. There is some dark shading under the lines. The stripes start at the neck, so it does not have a "mask" on its face. At first I thought it might be a two-lined salamander larva, but it is pretty big, around 2 inches from head to tip of tail. Also I have seen two-lined larva in the same spring, and they appear to have a sort of "mask". It doesn't look like any spring salamander larva or adults I have found there either. I checked Caudata Culture and it really doesn't look like any of the larva pictured. The only thing that didn't have a larval picture was the Northern Dusky Salamander. I did find an adult dusky salamander the same day, but the two look totally different, the dusky is more blunt and stocky. Can anybody help me with identification?

P.S.
I tried to post pictures but my camera is terrible, not only did the images look blurry, but the file size was too big to upload on the forum (800KB?!).

This sounds exactly like a two-lined salamander larvae (Eurycea bislineata). They can grow fairly large in some stream systems depending on the presence or absence of predators. If you want, you could email me the photo and I could double-check that id. My email is Cecalak@warnell.uga.edu.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back