What newt should I get?

killking236

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so I thought I had decided on cynops orientalis but after reading on this sight that the japanese fire belly newt is hardier than the chinese one I was thinking about getting the japanese one. I have a ten gallon fish tank and pretty much have planned out what I'm gunna do to change it into a newt tank. I was originally attracted to the fire belly because of its striking colors. This will be my first newt or salamander so I was thinking the hardier the better. Basically, what newt do you think would be best for me and why? Thanks every one.

Chinese firebellies and Japanese firebellies are both great newts. In my opinion, Japanese newts are more colorful than the chinese firebellies; however, I would think that both are very hardy. My first newt was a C.orientalis. If you want one, I would still get one. Pick very carefully if you buy them from a pet store, as many are WC and are stressed/injured. Japanese fireballies are great too and CB individuals can be purchased from other members on the forum. In the end, the decision is ultimately up to you.

Either Cynops species will be fine. They are both hardy, easy to care for and tend to be visible which is nice for first newts.

What does CB and WC mean? I think the petshop, the only one I have access to because I dont have a car, has cynops orientalis but they only have two and my tank is'nt ready yet so I will wait for a later shipment. Maybe they will get some japanese ones in with the chinese, can you keep them together or is that a bad idea?

CB=Captive bred and WC=Wild caught. It's next to impossible that you'd find captive breds at a pet store, your best bet would be in the adds section on this forum. Some biological supply websites online might also sell CB animals (I've never seen orientalis though, just axolotls and P.Watl), in the unlikely event someone won't have firebelly babies (this is a good time of year, as it's when they breed). If you're really impatient, nobody can stop you buying a wild caught animal from a pet store, just make sure that the animals are healthy, check these article's: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml . Especially important would be the ones about different types of health problems. When you go to a pet store, you might want to make sure the animals are kept in good conditions before you buy them (eg. cool temperature, water that's deeper than an inch, no other fish or amphibians in the container) because otherwise you'll just be financing bad caudate treatment and an industry which is both depleting wild caudate populations and perpetuating poor husbandry by giving false information to customers.

To add to Ben's post, keeping Japanese firebellies with Chinese firebellies may not be the best idea. Also, many pet stores label their newts as "Japanese Firebelly Newts", however they are usually C.orientalis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back