shedding/fungus?

sheila robinson

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Moreton has put on weight and is still eating but has like a greyish black skin (?) peel happening. He is an albino. Can someone please explain what shedding looks like compared to fungus? This is different to the white spider web stuff he had over his gills.

Hi Sheila,

Its almost impossible to know without seeing it can you post a photo?

hi ^^

ok this sounds alot like what my axolotl has...

is it like a white cottonish type thing, and does it sort of hang off your axie?

a picture would help, maybe try putting one on...

if it is, its most likely fungus, caused by stress...

atm my axolotl is going through a similar thing, so ive just started to treat her, shes got what appears to be skin shedding (but its not, its just a layer of fungus) and shes also got some in her gills.

so what ive done is every day 3 times a day, i put her in a salt bath, 2tsp of salt per L, and 1 tenth of a tsp of hardness (de oxygenating stuff) into a small container, then place her in it for about 10-15 mins.

After that i put her in a slightly bigger container, with water ager and conditioner in it, and put it in the fridge. This slows down her metabolism, and calms her down alot.

if you do decide to do the salt bath, i suggest to keep doing it until a week after the fungus has cleared.

(if you dont think its too severe try testing ur ammonia, and pH, nitrite and nitrate and temperature) if these arnt what they are supposed to be, then they can contribute to stress... ESPECIALLY temperature (nothing above 20c)

GOOD LUCK...

put up a photo so you can get a more accurate response...

=]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back