Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this water conditioner safe for my firebelly newt

keithp

Reaction score
I got a sample of water conditioner for free, it's unopened. But before using it for my newt, I want to make sure it's safe.

The brand is Jungle. It says "Start Right with Allantoin; a natural skin protectant" "complete water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine"

Ingredients: chlorides of sodium and potassium, allantoin, polyvinylpyrrolidone

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I refuse to use any water conditioners in any of my tanks. I know some people use them with no problems but I prefer a more natural approach. Aerate water for 24 hrs and chlorine and chloramine dissipates completely

dan15daman

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it safe to try that with the chloramines. Jungle is a pretty good brand when it comes to my fish with meds, but I don't know how effective it is with its conditioner. I would leave the water out for a day(edit:) in conjunction with using the jungle conditioner. I don't know if aeration would be the most effective way also because of the gas bubble disease which is caused by having too much air dissolved in the water.

keithp

Reaction score
I leave the water in a jug for a week before using it for the tank, so would having this settle in the jug for a week with the water be ok before using?

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
water conditioner

I don't think that chloramine will evaporate. Chlorine does evaporate.Chloramine is not used in the entire US though.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I live in New York, my guess is it's in our water.
There's no reason to "guess". It's easy to find out, and it's important to know which you have. This is dealt with clearly in the CC FAQ:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQwat.shtml

Personally, I prefer water conditioners that are "plain and simple" - no skin conditioners, no slime coat stuff, no aloe, etc. Just the bare basics to detoxify the chlorine and/or chloramine. The one you have is probably safe for amphibians, but most likely the company didn't do any extensive testing to prove this. Sadly, aquarium products are not required to reveal their full ingredients list, nor to prove safety. It's all marketing. I generally agree with MRI guy's approach to basically avoid adding products, although I do think that detoxifying chlorine/chloramine is sometimes necessary.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
My bad. I was speaking of Chlorine and it is just a habit to type it with the /Chloramine suffix. The others are correct that Chloramine requires positive action for removal. Efficient filtration with carbon / charcoal or resins or R/O will do the trick. Also check with your local water authority. You may not even have Chloramine in the water. The Water Auth will be able to provide you with a comprehensive report.

Starcraft

Reaction score
My favorite water conditioner is Seachem Prime. It's concentrated, so one capfull will do 50 gallons, instead of 10 like with a lot of other conditioners. It's also not soapy like other water conditions, won't affect pH, and I've used it a couple of times during an ammonia spike to detoxify it and give me some time to fix the problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1