Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello & help

rflora82

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm pretty sure that you can tell I'm new here. I'm a 25 year old animal enthusiast. My pets are my life. As far as newts go, I have several fire bellies and one mandarin newt. I found Caudata through an internet search where I was trying to find the answer to my mandarin newts ailments. I apologize for putting a help question out in my introduction but I am seriously worried about my newt. First for a little background. My mandarian newt's name is Hades, I purchased him, along with a female, about seven to eight weeks ago from a reputable store where I purchase all of my tropical fish and reptiles as well. I set Hades and Persephone (the female) up in a 10 gallon enclosure with a gravel bottom. The enclosure has about three inches of water (treated with salt and stress coat) with plenty of plants and flat, dry areas to give them relief from any wetness. I keep a close eye on the temperature and it usually ranges anywhere from 62 to 65 degrees. The water is filtered and tested on a normal basis. Persephone died about a week after I got the pair, I don't know if it was stress (she wasn't eating) but Hades seemed fine for a couple of weeks. However, in the last two to three weeks he has stopped eating. He is not interested in the dry areas of his enclosure, he is always staying in the water. I have offered him both live and frozen bloodworms, crickets, waxworms, and mealworms. He will not touch anything. I am very concerned because he has absolutely no fat left on his little body. His feet are beginning to have a faded look to them but the rest of his color is good. He had a normal shed about two weeks ago but today I noticed that he is shedding off what looks like black slime is small areas. The skin underneath looks bright and healthy. I am so sorry for this lengthy post but I'm just so worried. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on or what I can do? Thank you all so much in advance.

madeve

Reaction score
Hello and welcome!!!

I really suggest that you put your question in the "Newt and Salamander help" section as it will get more attention there and you will get an answer quicker.

Good luck

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved your thread and changed the name slightly, as I PM-ed you.

I'll add my two cents, while I'm at it. Probably your animals were wild caught, and as such were stressed by their travel. A large percentage of wc (wild caught) animals just don't make it.
Also see this thread:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52132

Also if they're shanjing, they're not supposed to like the water. I don't know what's up with that.
Good luck.

Last edited:

rflora82

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and suggestions for Hades. Unfortunately, he passed away. I will really miss him but as was the opinion of another, I think he was wild caught and just couldn't adjust. I just wanted to say thanks to you all, everyone here really seems to care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1