Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newtroom

coendeurloo

Reaction score
I have moved in a new house since a couple of weeks, together with my girlfriend. A big 'must-have' when we were searching for a house was that I had my own room for the newts and salamanders. The room is not finished completely, I would like to make the whole thing look a bit more natural by adding plants and some photos on the walls. Some pics on how it looks so far:

The racks:
2369790448_448a2b4a22_b.jpg

Finally, one place for all my stuff:
2336099140_3d723f6997.jpg
2335268591_e7c00e4f72.jpg

Aquarium with T. pygmaeus:
2336095714_09640618f8_b.jpg

Aquarium with T. marmoratus:
2368956615_1e8c2d85b9.jpg

Ikea-rack (Thanks for helping me out on that one Mark) with plastic tubs and custom made tanks:
2369791956_89c05f0547_b.jpg

And old beaten-up fridge which serves as the temporary place for the paludarium:
2335271851_bdeb884bd4_b.jpg

The renovated aquarium in the living room:
2337677603_950b10e08a.jpg

Same tank in the evening:
2336086136_1924bf128b.jpg

later in the evening it will switch to this less brighter (not obvious on the photo) 'Blue Moon' fluorescent tube for a couple of hours:
2368952343_2ce1aed304.jpg

A youtube video of some breeding T. marmoratus and T. pygmaeus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zykp6tNsAks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome! You're lucky!

When I come back from my summer job, Richard and I will be in the same boat, looking for a house. I hope I make as good a find as you did!

platinum

Reaction score
Hi, Coen,

Nice room--plenty of space for expansion!
I'm interested in those unusual tanks you have--one empty, one occupied--with the high front 'lip' and sloping panel at the top. Did you make these these, or are they commercially available in the Netherlands?
I've not seen anything like it in the UK and they seem ideal for aquatic newts--plenty of depth for the water, but easier to reach into than a fish tank and no messing about with screen tops.

Barry

Levo

Reaction score
I am very jealous, in my plan for my dream house apart from having some rooms (I live in a sort of bedsit at the moment and can't wait for rooms) I want a room that is just all mine and the plan is to have plenty of caudata and reptiles.

platinum

Reaction score
Coen,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to ask my local fish tank man if he can make me a couple of these.

I'm interested in the glass strip holding back the sand substrate at the front of your T. pygmaeus tank, which is presumably to make it easier to siphon out uneaten food. I've never seen this in the UK either.

Barry

coendeurloo

Reaction score
The glass strip is something I can recommend to everyone. If you look closely, I also have one in the large tank in the living room.

It has two big advantages:

1. Indeed, the ease of siphoning out dirt and uneaten food. If you create a slope towards the strip, a lot of dirt will fall into the strip automatically.

2. The ease of offering food, without providing options for it to escape. Bloodworms, tubifex, earthworms, all are captured in the glass strip. The newts learn this will be the place to look for food pretty soon, so an added bonus is that you will see them more often in their full glory.

dane_zu

Reaction score
coen, thats a very nice house you have, I hope to have a room dedicated to newts and salamanders some day

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1