Newt anatomy/update of injured CO.

Lasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ref my previous thread, http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53005
This chaps been seperated a couple of months now, and is taking a little food. As he's lost more weight the extent of his injuries have become more apparent. Its led me to wonder if there are internal injuries, his rear left quadrant is quite mishapen.

Does anyone have, or know where I could find, anatomical deawings or disection pictures of a newt?

I also wonder if their regenerative capabilities run to internal injuries as well, and if so to what degree?

He is surviving, I suppose what I'm asking is if he's actualy going to heal or if I need to be considering euthanasia. I've borrowed a digital camera, but I've had no luck getting a decent picture as yet, will keep at it.

**** camera, unsteady hand and a newt that will not stay in one place for more than a nano second. Still, I've had a little luck getting slightly clearer pictures by sticking the camera lens right up close rather than using macro, here are the results.
If you look carefully at the first pic you can see just how 'deflated' his left had side looks. The second was an attempt to photograph the exterior wound itself. I know its not great, but you can see the largest hole. It has a very thin layer of skin over it and is starting to bulge a little, but the pinky flesh is still very clearly visible.

I'm still quite worried about the poor little chap, although he is eating a little and is starting to get his colour back the wound doesnt really seem to be healing at all. Cant find a vet that will look at him, either.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• poornewty1.jpg
    poornewty1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 485
  • wound.jpg
    wound.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 442
Hi Lasher,

it sounds like it would be worth getting him assessed by a vet.

I believe there is at least one vet who sees reptiles (and I would assume amphibians) in the Portsmouth area, although I don't know him personally and don't have his details to hand. The Portsmouth reptile and amphibian society (http://pras.switchnetservices.co.uk/useful.htm ) has some vets listed on its site (although I know at least two of the listings are out of date), or ARAV (www.arav.org) has listings of reptile and amphibian vets.

>>I'm still quite worried about the poor little chap, although he is eating a little and is starting to get his >>colour back the wound doesnt really seem to be healing at all. Cant find a vet that will look at him, >>either.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions they would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back