eggs coming soon, now what?

huggybear

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
Shell
ok after a lot of searching i found a guy on ebay with great feeback selling eggs and have ordered 20 which are due to be posted tomorrow afternoon on special delivery
now hubby has asked after i thought he was all prepared lol what next!!!!???
we were planning on using our spare 30"x14" tank with a filter which has been maturing in our tropical fish tank is this the correct set up?
basically what we need to know is temp and ph of water and does it need an air stone as well as filter? we have had axies before but never eggs so apologies for my ignorance :(
they were laid last friday (good friday) so the guy expects them to hatch fairly soon after arival so would like to be prepared for them
if anyone could either point me in the right direction of a thread explaing basic set up for my tank and water conditions i would be very grateful

we were going to order a microworm culture for them when they hatch is this ok also or would the brine shrimp and daphnie n blood worms surfise?

also we have always thought the bigger the substrate the better due to axies trying to eat smaller gravel but we notice a few of you have marine type sand bottoms to your aquariums is this safe also as i think this would be a lot nicer for the babies and is something i can source while they grow! the tank currently is bare bottom btw

right i hope i havent confused you all too much and i'm sure i can reward you all for your help and advice with some nice developmental stages pics over the next few weeks hehe

shell

thanks for that hun, hubby is on phone to the guys we are getting them from at min getting advice but will also have a nosey at that link to many thanks :)

hi good luck with your eggs i too have purchased 20 eggs even though i recieved 28 babies due to some being twins and even one of the eggs had 4 babies inside fortunatly my friend has half off the batch of eggs i think it was of the same guy you purchased yours from as my eggs were layed on good friday too 8 of my babies have now hatched and 4 of my friends babies have hatched too just want to say good luck and i hope they are all ok:D

Hi Glad to see you are all doing so well

Hi Guys I'm so glad to see you are all doing so well, It's nice to see the axolotl eggs are now babies and people have taken our advise on using this site, its really nice to here how everyone is getting on.
All the best Becca

Sibling pic

hi good luck with your eggs i too have purchased 20 eggs even though i recieved 28 babies due to some being twins and even one of the eggs had 4 babies inside fortunatly my friend has half off the batch of eggs i think it was of the same guy you purchased yours from as my eggs were layed on good friday too 8 of my babies have now hatched and 4 of my friends babies have hatched too just want to say good luck and i hope they are all ok:D

I think we all must be family: The same eBay seller, the same date hatched! These are mine, 4 weeks 'out' and eating for England!
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2893&d=1208020797

sorry not replied for a while and great to hear were all related lmao!!!
all ...yes you heard right all our eggs hatched and so far we have lost none!!!:eek:
they all have lovely gills growing and were not to sure but we think we can see front legs forming and possibly back legs on a few too!!
they look really funny at min as all have funny pink bellies due to brine shrimp, and you can even see their hearts through their bodies too!!!
i have a few piccys to share but they were taken a week or so ago but will add some more later for now..enjoy!
btw how are you other guys doing?
shell
P1000842.jpg

P1000844.jpg

P1000844-Copy.jpg

P1000842-Copy.jpg

oops images have come out a little large feel free to resize mods :)

hey, what was the ebay seller selling them? i can't find any on ebay anywhere i think i might be looking in the wrong area. thanks!

Ebay

Hi its Becca I was selling eggs on ebay, uk, to help pay for their food and to give the babies a better chance of life. At the moment I have seperated (Lottie) our male for a while so to give the females a chance to rest. love Becca :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back