losing pink on gills

cosworth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, i just got a new albino axie and it had bright pink gills that are now fading to light pink.i got him to replace one that started floating then died. i have a wild type in with her too..any ideas. they get fed bloodworm tank is at 15 to 18 degrees.

Did you quarantine your new axie before putting him with your other one?
As far as the gills go it might be like mine their gills are only really pink when they are active otherwise they look a lighter shade.

no i did not quarentine it before i put him in.he is active and eating and pooing just not sure if the loss of pink is a signof something.

Hi Cosworth,

When axies are inactive or asleep there is less blood flow and their gills turn a paler colour.

When they are active or hunting there is a greater blood flow and their gills, tails and sometimes entire bodies turn redder.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back