Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank questions

killking236

Reaction score
I just got a used ten gallon tank from the petshop that came with the waterfall filter and a nice little rock, so I can start setting it up when ever I figure out how I want to do it. I wanted to do half land and half and half water but cynops orientalis are mostly aquatic so I can't do that with them. Are there any cool looking newts that are'nt too expensive that can fit in a ten gallon tank I can get? If not then if I silicone in a shelf thing give them a little land without taking up too much water, is there a way to remove it without scratching the glass?

killking236

Reaction score
Any one know something I can keep in a ten gallon with 1/2 land 1/2 water or if I can remove silicone?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Why do you want to do half land/half water? It's really more difficult than it sounds. There's almost always a breach in the barrier, and the land area becomes waterlogged.

The best way to remove silicone is to scrape it off with a razor blade.

killking236

Reaction score
I in college and working in the greenhouse here so I wanted to do terrestrial plants and moss and aquatic plants too. It would just be weird to have an awsome tank but no animals in it. The razor blade wont scrape the glass?

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I beg to differ. There are some really beautiful tanks out there that have no higher life forms in them.

kinger88

Reaction score
What about firebelly toads instead?
I have one they are great to watch when they eat their live food and they require half land half water

Lasher

Reaction score
Why do you want to do half land/half water? It's really more difficult than it sounds.

Unless I've missed the point somewhere along the way it really isnt!

I'll second that MRIGUY, there are sme stunning planted tanks about the place with no animals at all. I've done it, it actualy makes constructing an attractive and realistic tank alot easier not having to consider an animals requirements or cleaning.
I'll admit I often sit staring at a properly set up tank and catch myself admiring the decor rather than the inhabitants!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1