How much food and how often?

GROWMEZ

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Will
Hi
Everyone seems to say they feed their axolotl every 2 or 3 days, but how much do you feed it? My axolotl, GROMEZ, is about 6" long and wants to eat all the time! He eats earthworms. Incidentally, can you guess how old they are by their size? The shop didn't know how old it is, but they'd had it for 7 months?
Any help appreciated

At that size, I'd feed it 1.5 inches of earthworm every 2 or 3 days. Keep them plump, but not fat. If they start looking skinny, feed it more.

I'd say yours is still growing. I would say at that size and by the pet shop's statements, maybe 8-9 months? Probably not a year.

Nice one Kaysie, thanks for that.
He's already had about 4 fat worms today and the guy in the pet shop said he'd had a cockle this morning! Glad I stopped feeding him, he's greedy! He is in a much bigger tank than he was in in the shop, but he seems to be staying in one side of it. He's also just sort of clumsily walking across the bottom instead of swimming, is this normal in a new tank?
Will

I have just had a chat with my axolittles and told them that they are definitely over fed..they get a good sized 2 - 2.5 inch worm on alternate days. I should say that they are by no means slim so they will now be cut down with their meals.. When they demand food I'll tell them its Kaysies idea!!

I cannot be held accountable for axolotl protests.

It also depends on temperatures. If it's warm, you'll have to feed them more.

I think maybe he aint swimmin because I gave him too much to eat. Do they normally lay around for a bit when they're full?

Yep. Just like people :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back