Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Croc newts shedding black skin

RICH123

Reaction score
I have two young T.verrucosus and recently they have been shedding there skin alot but it comes of in pieces and is very dark in colouration almost black,
they seem very happy and are eating fine.
there water chemistry also seems fine
general hardness is high
nitrite.0
nitrate.30-40
there PH was about 6.5 but has now moved up to about 7
the temp in the tank is about 20c but can raise to 21 or 22 in the day sometimes so im looking for a small canopy fan of some form i would like to get an ice cap one but i can only find them for american plug sockets and im in britain, does anyone know of somthing simmular
wondering if anyone could help as i havnt been keeping this species for very long. thanks
Rich.

Last edited:

andrew

Reaction score
I really wouldn't go to the trouble of keeping the water temps down for verrucosus....they're so tolerable and hardy and in my experience handle heat better than the majority of species.

RICH123

Reaction score
OK thanks for the replies, i thought that it might be natural colouration, i think i will leave the tank without a fan and see how it goes in the summer, thanks again,
Rich.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1