ammonia removers?

izzy75

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new here and new to owning pets like these. Have one male tiger and one female axolotl (we think) Just have a question regarding filters and ammonia removal. The filter that came with the tank doesn't seem to work & I've seen several different types at the pet store but not sure what to go with. Can't afford anything too pricey right now. And I tried testing the water for the ammonia levels but have trouble reading them, but it looks like the ammonia levels are too high. What, besides the filter, is ok to use for that? I've seen some kind of tablets you can put in the water to help with that. Also, I've read some people feed them every day and others just 2 or 3 times a week. What is correct? And should we feed them till they stop eating or give a specific amount. Thanks.

What size tank and filter are you currently using? I assume you have larval tigers/axolotls, and this is why you're setting up an aquatic tank. I have no experience with the tablets. Did you "cycle" your tank? (see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml). This is important in establishing a healthy population of microorganisms to deal with ammonia.

What I'd suggest is doing partial (1/3) water changes to get your ammonia under control.

Also what are you feeding your salamanders. Are they eating everything or does some get uneaten or spit out and spoil in the water. Uneaten food will mess with your aquariums ammonia levels.

How often to feed them depends on age, water temperature, and amount you feed them in a sitting. Younger animals seem to eat more frequently. Colder temperatures make them eat less frequently. In general your salamanders should have a belly around the width of their head.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back