Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing Toes

GROWMEZ

Reaction score
I have noticed that Gromez is missing 2 'toes' from his back leg. I've only had him a couple of days and he has no tank mates, so they must have already been missing when I got him. Does anyone know - how long does it take for axolotls to grow them back?

inkozana

Reaction score
When I bought my Axolotl as a baby he was missing his entire left foot, it took about 3 months for it to grow back completely.

GROWMEZ

Reaction score
Cheers Inkozana
Out of interest, did it grow back the same colour? I've read several times that sometimes the regenerated limb is a different colour? I'm fascinated by it, and I wondered if it was anything like when humans have blond hair when they're little which goes darker as they get older

Saspotato

Reaction score
My axolotl had four stumps when I got him but his legs have since regrown... they are all the same colour though and it matches the rest of his body. They are a bit weird looking though and on one foot he only has one toe.

flyangler18

Reaction score
What's the score with all these missing limbs!? Is all the captive (in)breeding or what?

They were probably underfed and too many housed together. Axolotl are intensely cannibalistic, so I raise up all my larvae in individual cups to maximize growth.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
When axolotl are kept with other axolotl, usually in crowded tanks they tend to get bits nipped off... especially around feeding times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1