new salamander...

cloeypony

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I found a salamander at a pet store.
They said someone dropped him off becuase they couldnt care for it anymore and they are going to put it up for adoption b/c they usually dont sell salamanders. The donation fee is $6. Its at a pet store out by my boyfriends house *2 1/2 hrs away*. My boyfriend said he'd go pick it up for me. Really excited about finally getting one and i feel better adopting it than buying one from a pet store. i always feel kind of guilty buying pets from a petstore since all of my animals i have so far are rescues :)!!
I was wondering how do u tell how old they are, if there is a way? the pet store said they know nothing about it since they normally dont carry them.

Also i have 2 toads that i acquired from, again someone who didnt want them, and i have them in a 20 gal aquarium.... is it possible to put the newt n toads together? They are decent size toads. i have no idea the size of the salamander.
thanks
erin

ok that was what i was assuming thanks
never hurts to ask

Unfortunately there is no way to tell the age of a salamander once they reach adult size (and only rough guesses at the age of a young animal based on its size). Most (all?) caudates continue to grow throughout their lives but their rate of growth definitely slows down with age. When you get your animal you can post picks and I am sure someone here will be able to identify which species you have obtained. From there you can look up care sheets and the like and learn the average adult size of your species, and see if it has reached a likely adult length. I also like to measure an animal when I first get them and keep track every few months to see if they grow much - this rate of growth (or lack thereof) can also help you crudely guess age. Oh, and I also hardily second the views already expressed about not mixing newts and toads.
I wish you the best of luck with your salamander!

Cloey, do you have any idea what kind of salamander it is? What kind of setup it needs will depend on the ID.

Ashley, what about them? Are you asking about mixing? About telling their age??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back