Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Going to Scotland!

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So my sisters, Mom and I have finally planned (sort of) and booked our long discussed trip to Scotland. We will be on a walking tour of the Perthshire Highlands this June (over my birthday!), and I am hoping to see some caudate activity. What is a good resource/field guide I can look into to consult while I am there, and what are some of the more common species I can hope to spot? Thanks,
Heather

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve not looked for newts in Scotland but I’ve done quite a bit of hiking in the highlands. You should see some frogs. If you come across a Rana temporaria breeding pond the moorland nearby is often crawling with them, even in June.

June is the midge season in the highlands. They look quite harmless but believe me they’ll eat you alive. Scottish midges are particularly ferocious and their persistence will amaze you. Pray for windy weather and pack plenty of DEET (or a flame thrower).

Enjoy your holiday! The scenery up there is wonderful.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the DEET, Mark, please, you need to come to Texas in the summer after it rains. There really is no comparison with the British Isles, though I will grant you that a cloud of midge can be quite intimidating.

Re: RAUK - that's a new one on me. Interesting site.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce and Mark, very helpful. And really thanks for the warning on midges - I just told my mom and she seems less than pleased that we may be eaten alive by flying bugs. Ah, adventure!

oceanblue

Reaction score
Midge nets over a hat work as well. The good news is that July and August is worse and the West of Scotland is usually a lot more midge infested than Perthshire.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!