Saba, Netherlands Antilles, Caribbean Sea (Not salamanders but hey...)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
I apologise for the lack of salamanders. However there are frogs. I thought I'd post this since it was my first legitimate field trip since we made the field herping accounts area. Enjoy!

I just returned on Monday from a vacation on Saba, a 5 square mile volcanic island in the Caribbean on about the same latitude as Guatemala. Calling it a volcanic island is probably a misnomer - it's basically a single volcano.

Here are photographs and some goodies to go with them. The photos start near the lowest part of the island and end near the summit of the volcano, just to give you an idea of where each species prefers to live. Habitat near sea level is somewhat arid, becoming more lush as altitude increases, eventually becoming rain forest and then elfin cloud forest near the summit.

Saba has two species of anole but this one, Anolis sabanus, is unique to the island and quite distinct in coloration. This is a male and quite a poser. This species is common at all altitudes on the island:
original.jpg

At night the Saban Anoles climb up onto the fronds of this plant. They are quite compliant at night and it's possible to get very close, as the next photo illustrates:
original.jpg

This photo was taken at about 11 pm local time. I found it odd that the anoles spend the night in such exposed positions - a person could quite literally walk around with a bucket and pluck them off the bushes at night with ease:
original.jpg

I believe this is the female of Anolis sabanus. Quite drab in comparison to the male. This female was sunning herself on a wooden deck:
original.jpg

These eggs were found under a large rock. I thought they were the eggs of Anolis sabanus because the species was quite numerous near the rock. I've been told that they are more likely to be gecko eggs, however. There are 3 species of gecko on the island. I found a small gecko under a rock, too small for these eggs unless it was a juvenile, not too far away from the eggs but unfortunately the photo I got before it got away was pretty bad:
original.jpg

In the low drier areas of the island it is possible to observe groups of the Green Iguana, Iguana iguana. Only problem is that the adults are not green! This melanistic race seems to be unique to Saba. Older animals are almost completely black. This one was rather large (quite a few feet) and by the color it is probably not young:
original.jpg

At the lower altitudes of the island this frog species predominates (there are thousands of them per acre). The males of this species take possession of the center of this plant and call from there. I assume they use the plant for breeding sites due to the fact that the plant retains moisture at its center (note that Eleutherodactylus is a genus that usually skips the tadpole stage and produces tiny froglets from its eggs). Internet research says that there is only one species of frog on Saba, Johnston's Whistling Frog, Eleutherodactylus johnstonei. Well this isn't that species. There are at least 2 species of Eleutherodactylus on the island, and I suspect there are three. I tracked this frog down by its call. I am an amateur sound recordist and here is an mp3 of many of this species calling in a small area, with some crickets in the background: http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2806&d=1207206608
original.jpg

This male Johnston's Whistling Frog, Eleutherodactylus johnstonei, was tracked down by its call too. It's quite distinct from the other and I could not find this frog at low altitude, unlike the other Eleutherodactylus species in the previous photo. Here is a recording of several of these frogs in a small area, but I think there is a third species of frog audible in the background (I never could find that third species - it wasn't very numerous and it didn't call from easily accessible areas): http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2805&d=1207206591
original.jpg

This is Mount Scenary on Saba, the dormant volcano and highest point by far on the island. Please excuse the quality of this photo - it turned out to be the only one I took of the mountain. As you can see the upper part of the mountain is in cloud and indeed, the top of the mountain is elfin cloud forest, with the lower slopes being rain forest. The next few photos were taken on the slopes of this peak:
original.jpg

High up on Mount Scenary, getting into the rain forest altitude, the Red-Bellied Racer, Alsophis rufiventris, is most numerous. This Colubrid snake is unique to the islands of Saba and nearby Saint Eustatius. As you can see from this photo it's quite nicely colored and I saw adults all over 4 feet long. They sun themselves in clearings on the rain forested slopes. This one was beside the main path up the mountain:
original.jpg

This is a close-up of the previous snake:
original.jpg

In total I saw 6 adult specimens of the Red-Bellied Racer, Alsophis rufiventris, on Saba. This individual was the largest snake by far. It was easily 4 feet long and probably more like 5. I believe it is a different sex to the snake in the previous photos because the coloration is quite different and it was much larger than the individuals of the other's color. This comparison was easy to make because this snake was found less than two feet from an individual of the other color variant. Both were sunning themselves on rocks near the main path up the mountain.
original.jpg

This is a close-up of that individual. This photo is only a slight crop - this snake was quite at ease with me approaching it with my 60 mm macro lens and flash:
original.jpg

There's no shortage of food for herpetiles on the island of Saba. This cricket was found at night. Its body was several inches long (4 inches/10 cm at least I believe). I don't know the species (addendum: I've been told it's a Katydid):
original.jpg

This species of large black beetle was very common at night - in fact it was hard to avoid treading on them at night in places. Again, I don't know the species:
original.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed that. I promise more salamanders next time!

-John

Last edited:
Beautiful photos and stories. That iguana is fantastic... Well, not as good as a salamander, but almost.

amazing and inspiring, thanks for that

John, I don't know how I missed this post, but it's purely awesome.

Thanks for Sharing

Great account and photos John. Those recordings make me want to grab my head torch and jump on a plane to the tropics.... What recording equipment did you use?

Missed a few replies - just seeing them now. I recorded the sound with a Zoom H2. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

Super iguana and high quality photos.
BTW. How much does cost the trip to the Antilles from States? I want to compare it to European prices.

I'm not exactly sure what it would cost - I stayed with friends on the island and someone else bought my tickets as a gift (that never happens so I had to take it). I would guess the flights from here in Texas would be $900 - $1000 for everything return at the time I went.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back