Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Foodie question

ali000

Reaction score
Hi, just setting up a tank for an axie and starting to think about food that I'll need

We often go to our local freshwater river and catch 'critters' for our tropical fish, these are mainly freshwater shrimp, with a few unidentified wriggly things! the fish love them all, would this sort of food be o.k for an axie?
also I've been reading all the great advice on here about how often to feed them but haven't found anywhere where it says how much in one sitting, do you just estimate from the amount they leave or is there an exact guide?
all advice is very gratefully received
Alisonx

IanF

Reaction score
Hello, I would recomend you buy nightcrawlers or shrimp, and try not to 'catch' things as such, because this will most likely end in transmitted diseases. And if your looking to get live food, you'll need a 30 day quarintine time. For the amount, depending on your axolotls size it can vary from once a day to every 2 or 3 days, I'd recomend this link for http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm for feeding advice. Anyway good luck with your tank and hope all goes well.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
It will depend on the age/size of your axolotl as to the sort of food you give them.
If you are going to catch things from ponds etc its probably best to quarantine them first for 30 days before you introduce them to the tank, you don't want to introduce any nasties also!
I feed my axolotls earthworms (found in the garden)
slugs
snails(remove shells)
prawn
liver(cut into strips)
woodlice(slaters)
bloodworm(live or frozen)
Try your axolotl with these sorts of things, some people also feed soft salmon pellets, and also use feeder fish (guppies, minnows etc). Again feeder fish need to be quarantined before introduction to the tank, and also need to be watched closely
to ensure they dont stress the axolotl by nipping their fins and gills.
As for amount to give them, I feed my axolotls once a day , they eat until they will accept no more. My axolotls are 6-9 months of age and the largest is 10 inches long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1