Tadpoles

rastus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Anyone know if tadpoles would be ok for axolotls?

yeah, but you run the risk of diseases, and it may be illegal to remove amphibians from their natural habitat. it is here in the u.k.

I saw some at the pet shop the other day and thought they might be a nice treat (i had a friend who fed them to his once). But then I realised that they would be no good unless you bred them because otherwise you couldn't quarantine them long enough without them turning into frogs. Thanks anyway.

In my opinion tadpoles would not be okay as food for axolotls.
Some frogs and tadpoles possess toxins and when they come near metamorphosis they may have a very high level of thyroxine that could lead to metamorphosis. Grown up Axolotls would certainly not survive any start of metamorphosis.

Thanks Daniel, tadpoles are off the menu.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back