Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Meal Worms...good diet????

rich

Reaction score
hi guys, i have taken to feeding my axie garden worms, but i am finding it difficult to keep finding them in my garden. I have now takento Feeding my axie on meal worms, are they a good diet? ....as i cant remember if somebody ahd mentioned them being fatty... (i cut the heads of so my axie recives no harm)

benw

Reaction score
i wouldnt feed mealworms personally, i think the chitin body cant be digested properly, maybe white, newly moulted ones would be ok

rich

Reaction score
o ok... ive always been told to kill them... lol i will do so from now on! .. erm waht about the nutrition in a meal worm?

Ulysses31

Reaction score
meal worms

Hi, from what i've read meal worms are supposed to be quite fatty but should be ok if fed as part of a varied diet (though my chameleon turns his nose up at my attempts to vary his diet). Gut loading them makes them a bit more worthwhile. Theyre bodies are supposed to cause impaction if fed on too much though so as suggested before using newly shed ones is a better idea. The thing about cutting off heads i think refers to morio worms which have powerful jaws but some people think may be better due to a less chitin to meat ratio and theyre bigger. I have used both without any problem with my reptiles and inverts. I used to crush the heads of the morios but in the end i decided there wasnt much point as my stuff pretty much pounced on them and killed them instantly so just stopped them wriggling around as much. Regards Jason

benw

Reaction score
when i used to breed axyies in large numbers i fed the parents on trout pellets, not as a sole diet but not far off, as its fish based and has a good protein level they were ideal, have to keep up with the partial water changes though.

benw

Reaction score
also used to feed them tetra reptomin sticks as used for terrapins and aquatic frogs

rich

Reaction score
thanks guys, more digging up worms...more bying new food lol, but as long as he/she is happy, an regrows its gills quickly im happy :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!