Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jefferson Salamander

Salamander123

Reaction score
Thank you. Any other tips are helpful i'm new to this whole salamander raising thing just want to get it right. I also hear that they like to dig how much room should i leave for it to dig? Thanks

Salamander123

Reaction score
Should my Jefferson Salamander be in complete water. I have no water in my tank now just moss and bark and other moist things. He seems to like it but wondering if it should be filled with water

flyangler18

Reaction score
Ambystomids are poor swimmers and lead entirely fossorial existences as adults. If you want to introduce some water, a small water dish will do.

Salamander123

Reaction score
Thank you, maybe i will introduce some water but i like it how it is. I might think about adding more Moss and other things so he can dig. Thanks again..any tips appreciated

Salamander123

Reaction score
This is worrying me. I have peat moss in my tank and it said that it can cause ion loss and eventually death, is this true? Its all natural from the stream i found him from

flyangler18

Reaction score
I have peat moss in my tank and it said that it can cause ion loss and eventually death, is this true?

Yes, definitely true. Avoid acidic substrates- pH neutral substrates are ideal (organic top soil, coco fiber, etc.) I use 50/50 coco fiber and leaf litter/humus for all my salamanders.

pete

Reaction score
The problem with peat moss is the acidity. These peat moss warnings are typically concerning commercially available peat moss. Are you referring to some moss clumps you found growing outside? If so, then they're most likely okay. (Although, stuff from outside always has potential to have undesired bacteria/fungi/bugs/chemicals).

Salamander123

Reaction score
Pete i found the peat moss where the salamander was actually was outdoors. Its natural and he burrows in it

pete

Reaction score
Commercially available peat moss also is from outdoors and is natural and your salamander would burrow in it, too. It's the acidity that causes the problem. I can't say it's good or it's bad without knowing the pH. You'll have to use your best judgement.

Salamander123

Reaction score
Okay pete, i don't think it is even peet moss. It is just a little clump of moss i found growing on the ground in my backyard near a stream bed.

pete

Reaction score
Yes that is just moss then, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure the moss you found isn't peat moss. No worries.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1