Fungus on Lance.

inkozana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stef
I noticed yesterday that Lancey had a little white sort of fungus growing on his gill- so I put him in a salt bath (2 teaspoons of salt for about 2.5L of water and it was dechlorinated first) and then I carefully took off the fungus with some tweezers, it was only about 3mm in length.

Lance is now still in the salt bath (he's been in it for about 5 minutes and I plan on taking him out in another ten) sitting in the fridge.
Sorry for not giving a photo but I do not have my camera.

Did I do the right thing? Is there anything else I can do? Thanks :wacko:

Hi, no you are doing the right thing, all i would say is this the normal dosage rate is;
1-2 teaspoons per litre
10-15 mins twice a day 3
three times at the weekend.
I would also not advice removing with tweezers incase you pinch the axie at the same time.
Fridging your axie whilst you are doing the baths is definately best as this reduces the stress, so i would keep him there.
Dont forget to continue with the baths for approx 1 week after fungus has gone to ensure it has definately gone.

my axie has a more severe form of fungus... she had it all in her feathers, and up her tail...

shes been in the fridge for about 4 days now... and all is gone from her feathers, and the stuff on her tail is slowly coming off...

so my advise... be patient, and just let the fungus come off by itself...

it may take a bit longer, but its safer, and your axie will appreciate it alot more :lol:

GOOD LUCK!

Oh, I read on a website FROM Caudata I think that you should take it off- let me find the site.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml
It the skin section it talks of removing the fungus? Don't worry though, I did it very carefully and didn't touch him at all.

Thanks for the advice too. So I should continue the salt baths for a week or two more?
He didn't seem to like being in the salt bath ):

Oh, I read on a website FROM Caudata I think that you should take it off- let me find the site.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml
It the skin section it talks of removing the fungus? Don't worry though, I did it very carefully and didn't touch him at all.

Thanks for the advice too. So I should continue the salt baths for a week or two more?
He didn't seem to like being in the salt bath ):

they may not like it, but its the best thing for them...

keep him doing them for a week after all the fungus is gone...

its just to ensure that theres none that youve missed...

Okey Dokey :) Thanks!

no probs...

btw.. i only suggested not to take the fungus off yourself, because its on his gills.

they rely on their gills to breathe... i think its a bit risky using implements to get the fungus off...

its just much safer... thats all...

keep up with the salt baths :D

If you can safely remove the fungus without damaging the underlying skin, there's no reason not to pull off the fluffy tufts of it.

Continue with salt baths for approximately 3 days after the visible traces of fungus are gone, and keep up with the fridge for another week or so.

Hello,
I'm just commencing salt baths with one of my axies who has a little cheesy matter on one of his gills and have found that a turkey baster is a good way to remove the fungus- obviously you have to be gentle- but it does come off quite easily.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back