Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Coast to Coast in 24 hours

rust

Reaction score
I had quite the busy 24 hour period of herping last week. First on Sunday I had the chance to meet up with some fellow local GA herpers at the type locality for Plethodon petraeus. Here's my son Ian standing in front of the entrance.

Honestly this is probably the worst place to look for them, they are much more common on the slopes. We did see a few in the cave and quite a few outside. Here was a photo op with one.

And one of the subjects.

We also saw several E.lucufuga.

Also seen in the area were Desognathus, Gyrinophilus, P.glutinosus, P.serratus, Hemidactylium (w/eggs), and A.maculatum eggs. It was our first outing with other herpers here in the area, we really had a great time.

The next morning I headed to the west coast on business and managed to squeeze in a couple of hours in the Santa Cruz Mts. By the time I arrived late, got a car, got a permit, and got to to some habitat I didn't have much time so I concentrated on my favorite, Aneides. I was given a heads up on a location though, that was a life saver.

After wasting about half the time I had looking in the wrong micro-habitat I re-read my notes and literally flip one under the next rock, A.f.niger.

A little more searching turned up several hatchling black arboreals.

Of course there were plenty of B.attenuatus.

And quite a few Taricha, though mostly juvies.

The next morning I flipped a few things on the way to my meeting. Always nice to see the nominate form of Ensatina.

And one of my favorite forms of Batrachoseps, B.luciae. I should have taken a group pic, they come in a vast array of colors, truly amazing. Unfortunately I'm still learning my new camera and this pic doesn't do it justice.

I was definitely beat by Tuseday night!

pete

Reaction score
Very nice photos. The one time i was around Santa cruz (late summer), all I found were Ensatinas. Nice to see what else is there.

lims

Reaction score
yea great account, you mentioned micro-habitats and not looking in the right ones, please explain more about this and what was a correct micro-habitat as appose to a wrong one? cheers

rust

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Sam

I can't really comment on that point, the info was given to me in confidentiality. This subspecies has a very limited range, with it's preferred habitat limiting it even further.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1