Alex is sick any advise

catfishmck

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
cat
I have recently moved my axolotl in to a bigger tank he's been in it now for about a week and he's stop eating and his eyes have gone foggy and he's not moving very much at all.
Ive been feeding him frozen blood worms and crickets and the temperature has usely been around 20 degrees. I have had look at some web sites and have started putting him in a salt bath for about 10 min and lowered the temperature.
If there is any other advice you can give me to help him get better would be very great full.
Also what is the best death of water and what is the best type food and where to get it.

Attachments

• alex2.jpg
    alex2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 170
Hi Catfishmck,

Can you supply your water parameter readings for ammonia nitrate and nitrite and ph it would help in establishing if there is a water quality issue in your new tank.

In te short term you could put your axie in the fridge.

Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of information

Good luck

It is better to keep the water fairly deep this cuts down on the impact of ammonia, also 20 or below is ideal temperature.
As for food, earth worms are great as they are very nutritious for axies, you should be able to get them from an angling shop, if not your garden as long as you do not use chemicals in it.
On line stores also carry these.

thanks

Hi Catfishmck,

Can you supply your water parameter readings for ammonia nitrate and nitrite and ph it would help in establishing if there is a water quality issue in your new tank.

In te short term you could put your axie in the fridge.

Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of information

Good luck

Thanks for the help but may i ask what does putting it in the fridge do and how would it be done

Popping you axie in the fridge slows down their metabolism and reduces stress.
You need clean dechlorinated water, you pop this in something like an icecream container or similar just enough to cover axies back will do, then cover the container with something dark to stop light and temperature fluctuations.
You should also pop a spare bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge so when you do water changes the temperature is the same.
Some axies do not eat whilst in the fridge but try offering live food daily, dont forget to remove any waste or uneaten food or else the water will become contaminated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back