Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

setup question - humidity levels

dianabee

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've just recently joined the message board in preparation for the arrival of my new tiger salamander. I'm familiar with basic amphibian care (I own two green tree frogs hyla cinerea), so I'm fairly confident that I can provide my new guy with all he needs.

I've been reading various care sheets which stress high humidity levels, but do not offer optimal humidity ranges. My enclosure at this point is a 12 gallon plastic enclosure, and has been maintaining about 90% humidity and 66 degree F temperature. I'm happy with the temps, but I'm wondering if my humidity is too high?

What are the acceptable humidity ranges for my temperate salamander?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. And congrats on your upcoming new salamander - I commend you for doing research BEFORE you bought it!
I have had my A. mavortium since 2003 and I have never been overly concerned about humidity for it. I keep the soil on a moisture gradient, where every few weeks I pour a few cups of aged distilled tap water into the substrate on one end. That way the soil is not a uniform level of "wetness" and the tiger can choose what it prefers. I don't have a hygrometer in my tiger sal's enclosure so I can't tell you what my humidity range is but I never let it get wet enough for condensation to collect. I keep mine in my basement where temps are about 65F year round. Since mavortium are native where I live, and they are also found places much drier than here, I am more concerned about things like temperature and substrate moisture levels instead of ambient humidity. I am sure your animal will do fine as long as you provide a gradient, and no area is sopping wet or bone dry.
I hope that helps you and good luck with your future salamander!

dianabee

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply.
I have read several care sheet that mentioned having a gradient of moisture.
I'm just being overly cautious because I have no experience with salamanders.
I suppose it would make more sense to be more concerned with substrate moisture than ambient humidity for a burrowing species.

Do you ever feel the need to spray your salamander directly?
My enclosure does have a water bowl, but I know I liberally spray my frog tank down daily, and I wasn't sure if that was needed for a salamander.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have never sprayed my sal directly, but a water bowel is great - just make sure to keep it clean! Once you get your salamander post some pics for us to see and admire:)

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply.
I have read several care sheet that mentioned having a gradient of moisture.
I'm just being overly cautious because I have no experience with salamanders.
I suppose it would make more sense to be more concerned with substrate moisture than ambient humidity for a burrowing species.

Do you ever feel the need to spray your salamander directly?
My enclosure does have a water bowl, but I know I liberally spray my frog tank down daily, and I wasn't sure if that was needed for a salamander.
I agree with everything that jewett has stated. I too do not spray my tigers directly and would see no reason to spray the tiger's enclosure daily. Of course that would depend upon the substrate that you are using. Substrates which can hold moisture and allow for burrowing are preferred. The substrate should be able to break down organic matter, such as feces, shed skin, and uneaten food. It must be able to maintain a variable degree of moisture, without clumping, turning to mud, or drying out. I think you will find many tiger keepers on this board use coco-fiber or organic topsoil or a mix of both as a substrate.

I keep my substrate at a depth of around 3-4". I spray one-half of the viv with spring water maybe once a week or when the coco-fiber starts appearing a little dry on the top, and the other half less frequently. Neither viv half is soggy nor overly dry. My vivs also have shallow water bowls and hides in both moisture gradients. The tigers will take an occassional (rare) dip in the water bowls - which I most frequently see around the time they shed. Ambient air temps are around 68-69 F. I spot clean for feces/shed skin once a week or so and change the substrate approximately every two months.

Welcome and best of luck with your new animal.

dianabee

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! It's so simple, and probably common sense, but I just wanted to make sure.

My set-up has coco-fiber right now, I've always liked how it kept the humidity up in my frog tank, so it's good to know that I can use it for my salamander.

I'll make sure to put up pictures as soon as possible!:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said. I use a mixture of coco fiber and topsoil in my tiger tank, which is about 4 inches deep. I usually dump a couple cups of water (half a half-gallon jug) on one end of the tank every couple of days (or whenever it looks dry). I don't use a water dish.

cheddarsox

Reaction score
I've kept tigers, and seen them kept successfully in a wide variety of humidities, from purely aquatic (yes, I mean adults) to damp substrate/no water dish. They seem to do fine either way. In warmer climates, keeping them in water in the warmer months can help keep them from over heating and getting a bacterial infection.

Cleanliness seems to matter more than the exact humidity...as long as it does not allow them to dry out. Stinky water or substrate is bad news. If you do keep a water dish, clean frequently.

I have often misted the animals directly, not so much for moistures sake, but because I wanted to view them and they had soil etc stuck all over them. If the pH of the water is within reasonable range, it does them no harm...I figure it is like a bit of a rain shower for them. But make sure the temp is room temp, or they will let you know they don't like it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1