Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

still wont eat

FOG

Reaction score
getting a bit worried about my smooth newt now. hes been in his tank 2 days now and still wont eat. he just sits on the gravel out of the water.

ButtercupSaiyan

Reaction score
Try the small worms you can get from a Gardening or Bait shop (glances at empty worm container) since we had some success with Panfish/Trout worms and small baby crickets on recalcitrant newts. For the smaller ones, my fiance actually cuts them up with scissors (I refuse!) and they will happily eat the ... still wiggling ... legs and worm chunks.

I also used frozen bloodworms for a while and none of the aquatic newts refused them ... but the terrestrial ones weren't too interested.

My family would kill me if I kept live bloodworms or waxworms or blackworms somewhere in the house.

FOG

Reaction score
well hes a smooth newt, and i fed him live bloodworm a few days ago, most are dead now, but theres still a couple wrigling in his food bowl in the water. tank feels quite cold, not sure the exact temperatue, but hes in my room which is always freezing cold. he hasnt gone into the wter in a couple of days so i dont think he knows theyre there. anything i can feed him on land that wont sink into the gravek? and that doesnt involve me chopping up live worms.. feeding him whole ones are bad enough! also, is my tank set up right for a smooth newt? i have half land half water with a hollow rock to hide under on the land part. is 2 inches of water enough?

krk11

Reaction score
Hello Aimee, it may just take some time for the newt to get used to its new home. Sounds like you just got it 2 days ago. 2 inches of water seems a bit low to me. Did you dechorinate the water first? What are your readings for the water (ammonia, ph, ect)? Try reading the care sheets to find out more. Good luck!

FOG

Reaction score
i had a lok at the care sheets, but couldnt find anything on smooth newts which i assume it is. im gonna clean the tank out tomorow and dechlorinate the water and make it deeper, im hoping this wont stress him out even more.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If he stays out of the water, try feeding him very small crickets.

The water should be deep enough (and full of plants) so that he feels sheltered there. As I recall, you originally found the newt out of water, so it may be that he's not interested in water at this time of his life.

FOG

Reaction score
yeh i found him in my garage, could of been heading from my garden as ive found a few before because theres a sort of pond in it. i only kept this one as he was really ill. anyway, i came home tonight to find him in the water, he noticed me straight away and came up to the glass to look at me im assuming this means hes getting used to me at last. also, i think some of the worms id put in that had died yesterday have disappeared, im guessing hes finally eaten them. hopefully tomorrows tank cleaning wont stress him out too much. really happy hes eaten something. thanks for everyones advice :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1