Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Shrimp Pellets OK?

tellison

Reaction score
My axie doesn't seem to like the earthworms, but does like shrimp pellets. Is this ok to feed him? also, is it normal for him not to notice food unless it literally hits him in the head or comes really, really close to it?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What are the ingredients in shrimp pellets (that is, are these made to feed shrimp, or are they made of shrimp)? If you find a good quality carnivore pellets, such as Hikari or Rangen brand, those work too. It could also be the species of earthworm you're offering. Some species have a noxious secretion that tastes bad.

Yes, axolotls are oblivious to food unless it wiggles or hits them in the head. That's normal.

tellison

Reaction score
The pellets are made of shrimp. Tried finding the pellets mentioned that are for salmon, but don't know where to get them. I'm basically looking at petsmart cause I don't know where else to go. I got the earthworms from walmart's bait shop - is there somewhere else I should get them?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I get my worms from walmart fairly often too.

The salmon/trout pellets can be purchased online directly from Rangen in a 40 pound bag (that's a LOT of pellets), or purchased in smaller sizes from either Michael Shrom (a member here), or the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/food.htm

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shrimp pellets + walmart nightcrawlers are an excellent diet, in my opinion. The salmon pellets might be somewhat more nutritionally complete than the shrimp pellets, but if you're using earthworms too I think you're good to go.

Fluvre

Reaction score
I've been feeding my baby (4wk) axie shrimp pellets for about a week now. I noticed last night that one of them seems to be spitting some of it back out. I'm working on getting salmon pellets but should I get something else to feed them in the mean time?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How are you feeding 4 week old axolotls shrimp pellets? At 4 weeks old, they usually haven't even sprouted back legs yet, let alone be large enough to eat a pellet.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As you are in the US, Fluvre, I would recommend finding live blackworms. Your axie will likely grow much faster with those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!