Update on Lance (:

inkozana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stef
Lance is my small little axolotl he is golden and a little too small - I think.
He had a bad fungus on his gills about a week ago and I have been treating him for it (salt baths, time in the fridge etc) It is disappearing nicely :love:

He is only about 12.5CM long and well over 7 months old - is it normal for him to be this size? Shouldn't he be bigger...? :wacko:

I have some photos attatched just for a little look. In the yellow box is where Lance's fungus is/was and in the grey box there is a picture of his tail, it's a little crumpy and I'm wondering if I should be worried..? Thanks :p Also, this is not his tank so don't be grumpy about his home please :eek:

caudata.png

caudata3.png

He is a little skinny yes but as good diet should sort that out. The fungus isn't looking too bad, but the salt baths should clear whats left.
His tail looks ok to me too, theyre bound to have odd little marks and bumps and nicks from time to time. Possibly he has had an injury to his tail and its just grown back that way. One of my axies has a sort of ridge on her tail along the top whereas the other doesn't. Maybe its just the way she is.

His fungus seems to have nearly gone, good work. Just make sure to fatten him up a bit, he's so thin. Am sure he will have a good appetite now he is getting better :)

I'd feed him daily for a while to fatten him up. My golden albino axie I got a few weeks ago has a couple of axolotl-mouth-size chunks out of her tail; they seem to be healing fine.

Looking good, keep up the salt baths for at least a 3 days after the fungus has gone and all should be well.
A few juicy earth worms and maybe a bit of beef heart or liver will soon fatten him up.
As for size, i dont know if it is a golden trait but i seem to see more small golden then any other colour variations, so as far as length goes i wouldnt worry.
As long as he is fit and healthy his size should be no problem.

For buying earthworms, the sure place to go is a bait shop (as in fishing), though, depending on where you live in Australia, finding a bait shop could prove difficult. I'm always concerned about chemicals/disease when buying from bait shops, though, so be careful with that (to the extent that you can be careful when buying prey from an unknown farmer.) There must be some kind of annelid you can just dig for, too (pesticide free area, please!). You could buy them from an online source, perhaps, but they usually require you to buy in bulk (i.e. by the 1,000s).

Andrea

Bunnings sell boxes of earthworms ready to make a warm farm with. Mine come out of our vege patch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back