Nvv Skin Discoloration

IloveMyNewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
my newts have developed odd, black skin discoloration along their spines and head... should i be worried?is this some sort of fungal growth? it does not appear raised or "fuzzy" ...

scared and confused.

Could you tell us a bit more? Whats your set up like - are your newts mostly aquatic? If so what are your water parameters?If they are terrestrial what substrate do you keep them on? What temperature do you keep the enclosure, and whats your animals diet consist of? Are they still eating, losing weight, active and acting normal or lethargic/depressed? The answers to these questions will help us to be better able to help you and your newts.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

heres what i know

Well my boyfriend and i bought the 4 about month ago from a local pet store i kept two and he kept two, but he had to make room for his growing dragon, so got these from back him today. he kept them in a 2 gallon critterkeeper in a mostly aquatic set up with the Ph at 7.2 no ammonia or nitrites, I just finished feeding them tubiflex, and they ate rather voraciously :) they dont seem to be any thinner than when we first got them, an are rather active, the only difference appears to be this weird coloration that appears along the spine ... my boyfriend said that it comes and goes... this is the first time ive actually seen it.

im scarred that these two might have some sort of skin infection, and i dont wanna expose it to my two healthy newts.

pictures of the newts

so here are the "infected" newts...

Attachments

• stfu 011.jpg
    stfu 011.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,650
  • stfu 004.jpg
    stfu 004.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 873
  • stfu 005.jpg
    stfu 005.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,050
Do they spend all their time in the water, or could their skin have gotten partially dried out by them sitting on land for a while? I've never seen anything like this, so I'm just speculating.

So that is the tank my boyfriend had them in. I just asked him and he said that they spent most of their time on the little dock in the center.. rarely went in the water..

so could it be possible that that black wrinkled skin is just dried up??

right now i have them in a terrarium with wet substrait and a little pool pf water so they can swim if they want to.

also, his water is soft, and mine is hard, could this be why his newts are affected and mine arent?

Attachments

• newt home.jpg
    newt home.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 402
I've never seen a noto like that either. My first thought was, it's getting ready to shed, but mine never looked like that. I have hard water too.

Very weird indeed, do you have a heater or a strong lamp in there? Maybe their backs got burned?

nope no heat lamps.. only overhead lighting on top of the desk...

today the markings have almost vanished.. there is only a thin line of black along the spinal ridge. so strange..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back