Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Question?

nir

Reaction score
Is it possible for fire salamanders to produce larvae without cooling? My Salamandra s. salamandra male is courting the female right now, grasping her and rubbing is chin on her, but they have not been cooled. Should I cool them now?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Jake

Reaction score
Is it possible for fire salamanders to produce larvae without cooling? My Salamandra s. salamandra male is courting the female right now, grasping her and rubbing is chin on her, but they have not been cooled. Should I cool them now?

You should keep them cool all year.

If you recently bought them they could possibly be imports that are already in breeding condition, which is what it sounds like.

nir

Reaction score
Ok,

I do keep them cool all year (around 16 Celcius) and they are not recent import, I bought them as juveniles and they are now adults 2 years later.

So the question still remains, can they produce larvae without cooling?

rigsby

Reaction score
fire sals can breed anytime throughout the year and store the sperm until conditions are right so i would say yes its possible but i have always cooled mine over winter. When you say you keep them at 16C is it not possible the temp could have dropped for a time.

nir

Reaction score
Yes it's possible temperatures got cooler throughout winter, but they were always active and ready to feed. Anyway, I was intending on cooling them next winter so we'll see what happens

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Caudates only stop eating and become inactive at very low temps...
But some species, specially if the animals are captive bred don´t need such a drop of temperatures to trigger breeding. Temperatures of just 15ºC can be enough...some species don´t need any drop at all.
Anyway let´s hope the mating was succesfull n_n

nir

Reaction score
Hmmm, Interesting! I'll keep you updated on those breeding habits...

I do have another question. I am a student and live in an apartment. In summer it gets pretty hot here (close to 25 C). The two last summer, I moved my 5 fire salamanders to a friends basement, but it was a lot of trouble feeding them to their needs. Do any of you guys have tricks to keep them cool?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1