Behavior differences

rastus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there.
Well we now have two axolotls and they both seem to have settled in nicely. We got them from the same place and they are about the same size but they act very differently. I think they're both females. One is a natural colour, is fairly active, likes to float around in the plants and doesn't really like earthworms but loves frozen bloodworms (messy) or beefheart (unnatural). The other is an Axanthic albino (I think), is less active, likes to hang out near the bottom or hide in a little cave, but is an absolute pig and will eat anything that comes it's way. It's halfway through regrowing a back leg which may explain the appetite? They seem to get along ok, the albino even seems to be affectionate towards the natural one at times.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed different behaviours between different colours or sexes?

I dont think the colour has anything to do with behaviour,
after all us humans are all different, and if you think about most creatures in the animal kingdom they all have different traits.

I agree with Frances.
Its just nature, life would be pretty boring if we were all the same.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back