Johnny and Jose from Perth WA

jlitespeed

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Johnny
Hi everyone. Johnny Litespeed from Perth Western Australia. First of all I want to say a big thanks to this site. The amount of information I have been able to gather prior to getting my little guy was amazing.

I have a 17cm Golden Albino named Jose. I acquired him on April Fools day this year :rofl:.
Firstly I would like to make comment of my pet shop experience. I knew what I wanted and had already picked the Axie I wanted. All the Axies were housed in a rectangular pond like enclosure with a steel constructed net/guard over the top. From the bird’s eye view I had, I picked out the best-looking Axie with beautiful long gills and good shape. I told my mate Dean to watch the one I wanted so I could point out to the Sales Assistant the one I wanted. Sex wasn’t an issue.

I told the Sales Assistant I had chosen an Axie for me, and when we went to the “enclosure” she moved the netting off the top and slammed it along side another enclosure which freaked all the Axies out and they all panicked and swam everywhere :mad:. The chosen Axie was now in a haze of wild type and golden albino chaos in the water. This then stirred all the water up which in turn ended up in the plastic bag with the Axie I was going to choose. The Sales Assistant then scooped up about 3 Axies in what I thought was a very rough manner and put one into the bag. I didn’t even get a chance to look at the Axie’s form. We got to the sales counter and as I had a look at the Axie I noticed all his gills were void of the fluffy bits around the gills. They were like little stumps :eek:. I put my foot down and said no.

So we went the process again and the Sales Assistant bluntly said, “Is this one good enough for you?” I checked all the legs, had a look at the tail and made sure it had gills and replied, “Yep.” The Sales Assistant said this one’s a male, but since having him home for a few weeks, I reckon it’s a female.

In hindsight I should have walked away, but I had been to other shops and the sight of the Axies were pretty poor. The only thing I didn’t notice was how thin he was. One or two of his gills aren’t the best but I thought with lots of love they would come good.

Within a day Jose has been eating sliced beef heart. He’s very responsive to me and has already begun swimming up to my hand and taking food from my fingers. He seems to be hungry all the time so I feed him everyday. Perth is a hot place, today was 30 degrees and it’s supposed to be autumn!

I have a ship/boat in my tank, which somehow Jose gets into to hide from the light during the day. He got stuck once trying to get out through the bridge, which was hilarious. I ended up having to tip him out of it. He brings much joy to our house and hopefully I will introduce a buddy soon.

Thanks again to the creators of a great site. I'll try and add some phots.

[FONT=&quot]Johnny [/FONT]

Attachments

• jose1.JPG
    jose1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 182
  • jose2.JPG
    jose2.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 172
Welcome to the site, Johnny. It sounds like Jose is lucky to have been picked by someone who has done their homework regarding axies. Good luck with your new acquisition. We are happy to have you and are glad you found the site!
Heather

Thanks Heather. Have been getting some local help from Lisa in Perth. Take care

Welcome aboard, Johnny! I'm glad I'm not the only person out there who does their homework before bringing a new pet home. ;)

Dawn T

Ello ello

Hey jo and jo Me and my wife are new to this to so just wanted to pop in and say hi.
were down here in cold victoria hope you guys are enjoying the nice weather in WA.

Heat

Hi jo just droped in to say that while looking threw the forums for my own answers i noticed that your axolotls do best in water temp of between 12-20 degrees. and dew to our hot Australian weather(espeacily in Wa) you might want to keep the little guy in your coolest room or just away from the outside walls of the house.
We put our in the room that gets hit by the morning sun but is shaded in the arvo with a thick pull down blind hope this hlps a little:D.
but im only new to i maybe wrong!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back