Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When setting up a tank..

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as your fish are disease-free (and no new fish were added recently). The bacteria that cycle the tank live on surfaces, so it would be more effective to use dirty rocks from the fish tank or some dirty filter media.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Would that help it cycle any faster?

Yes. The addition of rocks or filter media from an already cycled tank will also bring over nitrifying bacteria. It is these bacteria that create the cycle so if you add them the tank should cycle faster than normal.

vanillaXtiffy

Reaction score
You guys are so helpful. Thanks. One more question, when buying a filter for axolotls, what pieces should I get? I could have sworn my old filter came with everything I needed, but now when I go looking for them at pet stores, all the pieces come separate.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A good quality canister filter is the best way to go. The most essential part is an appropriately sized motor, and a spray bar.

vanillaXtiffy

Reaction score
I got a nice filter with a flow adjuster. For now I have it on full speed, but when I get them I'll turn it down to the lowest setting. I washed the sand out, but I don't think I washed it enough. My tank is all cloudy. Will the filter+ water daily water changes help this?

Abrahm

Reaction score
I washed the sand out, but I don't think I washed it enough. My tank is all cloudy. Will the filter+ water daily water changes help this?

Yup. Both the filter and water changes will help remove those suspended sand particles from your water. It's also completely normal to still be a bit cloudy after you add sand. It's just the nature of the beast and it will clear up pretty quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!