Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.V. Viridescens question

princessjlk10

Reaction score
I have 4 N.V. Viridescens newts that I bought at a local pet store. Two of them are swimming around and acting very busy as normal so that is good. However, I have one that is pretty much terrestrial but looks fine. I haven't seen it eating much though (I've tried mini mealworms(which it ate one, one time) blackworms, crickets, flightless fruitflies, and chopped earthworms). The other one has been skinny since i got them and getting skinnier by the day. I can't get it to eat anything and it seems to move between land and water often. It also doesn't swim as well as the 2 aquatic ones. Is there anything I can do to help the ones that aren't doing well?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
As for being terrestrial, I wouldn't worry if the newts look fine, sometimes adult N.viridescens will go through a terrestrial phase, especially if you purchased these recently from a pet shop (where conditions tend to be pretty atrocious). Feeding wise, I have had similar problems. I would try feeding frozen bloodworms, mine can't resist them. I would also try chopped earthworms again, your pieces may have been too large. Notos have small mouths, but I found that very tiny pieces can be fed using tweezers. I would also try and hand feed some pin-head crickets, it usually works for my notos. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions!:D

Edit: For fattening the skinny ones up, you could try waxworms. These are usually treats for newts as they are very high in fat. Cut in half, I had success feeding them to my notos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!