smooth newt

FOG

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
aimee
thanks to everyone on here that helped me out. i have one last question, my newts finally eating and running about, he/she seems really happy. just wondered how often i should feed it? i read somewhere that it should be once every few days. i fed it saturday and it took it a couple of days to eat. fed it again tuesday and an hour later hes eaten the lot and is after more. so i fed it again. it keeps sitting in its food bowl waiting for more. should it be daily or should i stick to once every couple of days? i dont want to starve it, but i dont want it to get fat either. also can anyone tell me if its male or female? and if it is infact a smooth newt? thanks.

Attachments

• DSC02326.JPG
    DSC02326.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC02329.JPG
    DSC02329.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC02305.JPG
    DSC02305.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 207
Feed it every 3-4 days. You won't be starving it. Newts are ectotherms so they don't need to gain heat from the breakdown of food. Thus, they don't eat as much as mammals. Whether it is a male or a female, I don't know. I also don't know anything about smooth newts, but i looked them up and that kind of looks like what I saw, but I don't know.

thanks for that :) ill cut down on feeding him. just tried him on frozen worms and he doesnt want to know, so it looks like live blood worms it is. hes gone a bit mad since i cleaned him out earlier, bashing into the sides of the tank and swimming about stupidly quick, im hoping hes ok.

smoothie

yes she's definatly a smooth newt,try her with live bloodworm while she;s in water but keep her in a damp enviro(not water) toward the end of may or she could drown,then feed her small worms ,slugs and the like and they NEED to hibernate in winter.enjoy your little pet thats the main thing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back