musical axies?!

lazymut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i heard a rumor that loud music can distress/ kill an axolotl true or false?

any replies appreciated!

I should think it would be the vibrations caused by the loudness/bass that would disturb them. Obviously the water would carry these vibrations, but I wouldnt like to try it to see...But I don't mind trying on you, come here while I blast your ears with some heavy bassy music and see if it disturbs you lol...(joking)...And I suppose over a prolonged period it could cause so much stress it could lead on to other health issues.

I play music (musical instruments and on the radio) by my axies all the time, not particularly loudly, but they seem indifferent. My guess is that noise would have to be especially loud to disturb them.

thanks thats the impression ive been getting as long as your just kinda sensible it should be okay!

I got this directly off somebody on this forum, but I can't remember who it was. It was heaps useful so I made a file of it:

"Axies dont like loud noises, and from my research the lower the frequencies the greater the distress. My test equipment was only able to generate as low as 20 Hz and up to 20,000Hz which is the range for human hearing. The axies started responding to 1 second bursts of sound at 95dB at 315 Hz the most reaction came from 53 Hz - 125 Hz. To put it in perspective 95 dB is about the same as shouting or a 100 watt rms home stereo on half power.

So from the bottom of the low mid range down to the subs at a reasonable volume 1st woke them then 2nd made them move into the caves. Is your axie subject to any noise? Axolotls have a lateral line which sense vibrations so frequencies rather than volume is the issues." -anonymous Caudata.org user

Jay.

My axolotl definitely responds to noise. So far he really hates Bioshock, Tool, Steve Jobs and my partner, judging by the fact his tail curls and he hides in the corner when they are on my pc (next to the tank). I wear earphones when gaming now and I have banned my partner from playing Steve Jobs key note speeches on my pc. :p It sounds weird but he was going berserk during the last Apple presentation until I turned off the noise...!

He responds well to high voices, as in, he will swim out of his hiding hole and up to the surface. As I have a high voice I assume he associates the noise with feeding as I usually talk to him when I feed him :eek:

Hi Lazymut,

The tests Jay is referring to were conducted in a studio last year. I have the full results available if anyone is interested pm me and I will send them in an email.

As has already been said. Its all about frequency rather than volume, ie: the lower the frequency the greater the response. I could not test lower than human hearing as the tone generator only went as low as 20Hz.

Without getting to technical its all about transverse and compression waves and the effect on the axies lateral line. Which is similar to that of other species in particularly sharks. It allows the axie to sense vibrations and electrical fields.

So a low sound has a long sound wave, (about 15meters for 20Hz and about 1 meter for 1kHz normal male human speaking is around 630Hz - 1.2 kHz) Low sound Longer cycle, High sound shorter cycle.

Elephants can communicate over vast distances using subsonic frequencies. Music like Tool and Bioshock have an abundance of bottom end so does a lot of hip hop. We tested using pure tones ie: sine waves not music.

Any way to summarize Lots of bass and lows = bad

Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back