Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need advice please!

crested crazy

Reaction score
Okay so i'm a little worryed. The guy I bought them from said they eat alot. Well since
I've had them I've only seen the one eat. But i give them food everyday. So now I'm confused
because everyone that I talked to said when there axies where small (1.5in) they ate alot
where mine are not. And I'm maken sure the temp is below 70degrees and the flow is not
strong at all.
Please give me advice!

madeve

Reaction score
It all depends on their size, larvae and juveniles under 12cm should be fed twice a day, between 12 and 15 cm once a day, 15 to 20 cm every 2 days and above 20 cm every 3 to 4 days.

crested crazy

Reaction score
Then they should be feeding 2times a day but the don't.
I offer it but they do not take it.. What should I do?

Levo

Reaction score
It could be variety of reasons, most axolotls refuse to eat when they are stress, so check http://www.axolotl.org and see if anything on there explains what could be wrong. If you have a filter the water flow may cause a problem if it is too strong, the temperature if too warm could also be a problem. Have you tested the water at all?

crested crazy

Reaction score
Yes I have the water is perfict and the temp is 70 dagrees F, and the water flow is very gental, I think a bug could swim in it. And they are not showing any sighns of stress

digger

Reaction score
How long have you had them because it can take a whilefor them to settle into a new enviroment.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What are you trying to feed them?
1.5 in is near to 4 cm if I get it right, so they should have at least their front legs and the hind legs growing. At this stage I give mine mainly bloodworms, daphnia and small chopped up earthworms.

crested crazy

Reaction score
I've had them for 8 days. I was thinking that was enought time to settle in because it ushley takes about 5-8 days for turtles to settle in. I guess I cant really compair, How long would you say it takes?

Oh and I feed them salmon pellets. Should i try something else?
P.s they do have both back and front legs there just kinds tiny..lol

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh and I feed them salmon pellets. Should i try something else?

Yes, try feeding them something else. I would suggest bloodworms for a start, either live or frozen / defrosted and quickly washed. Daphnia maybe good, too, although they are not very nutritious.

Young Axolotls that are not accustomed to the pellets (by the way - what size are these pellets?) might have a problem with eating them.

digger

Reaction score
I would feed them blood worms (live)
Not only is live food more stimulating but i personally think it is more akin to the sort of food they get in the wild.
When they are bigger you can then go onto earth worms which is a definate favorite of axies.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Live bloodworms aren't readily available in the United States.

However, at good quality pet shops, you should be able to find blackworms.

crested crazy

Reaction score
The pellets are tiney.
My pet shop sells black worms(live)
So how would I feed them to the axes?
Just dump them in? I also have tons of
frozen foods

What do you think about myses shrimp? (frozen)

digger

Reaction score
Live is definately best as it is more stimulating and they are more likely to go for it.
I should think you would feed the same as blood worm. Drop some as close to axie as you can.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At this size, they really need something that is alive.

Blackworms can be rinsed in dechlorinated water and dumped near the axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1