re-Releasing Salamander to wild?

kiml

Reaction score
Country
United States
In December when I was departing from a visit to my beach house in Delaware, I found a small distressed Redback Salamander (northern) in the basement. It appeared to be very dehydrated and was covered in dust and debris (at first I thought it was an earthworm). I did not think it would survive and at the time it was about 17degF at night so I decided to put it in a container with some water and take it home.
Anyway it seemed to recover, and I ended up keeping it in a makeshift container with moss, rocks and water, with some Zoo Med's Anole food that I bought at a pet store over the winter. I am back down a the beach house again and was thinking that the most humane thing to do would be to release it again in the area.
I wanted to confirm with more knowlegedeable people if this seemed like the right thing to do and if the temperature is warm enough to do this at the time as it was kept in an approximately 65-70degF environment over the winter, and it gets a bit chilly at night. I also was wondering if ther was any best location in the garden to let it go, and is it better to do in morning or evening.
Thanks

Generally, no, rereleasing animals is not recommended. In many places, it's illegal. In a lot of cases, they've been exposed to other animals, and can bring pathogens back into the wild population.

To expand upon what Kaysie said, even if your animal was never exposed to another amphibian while you kept it there are other ways it could become infected. Food from the pet store may carry with it diseases, as could prepackaged foods. The aquarium the animal was kept in could have been exposed to another amphibian. Some parasites, viruses and bacteria can last a long time in a resting state and then become active again when conditions are good.

Hi i dont mean to get off the subject but your redback ate the zoo anole food and liked it and didnt have any problems?? I have 4 redbacks and i get so worried about their eating habbits. I try to feed them mealworms but it seems like they dont want them. I never tried that before

Hi i dont mean to get off the subject but your redback ate the zoo anole food and liked it and didnt have any problems?? I have 4 redbacks and i get so worried about their eating habbits. I try to feed them mealworms but it seems like they dont want them. I never tried that before

Your best bet for redbacks would be termites, fruit flies, and springtails. Even smaller mealworms are probably way too big for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back