I'm almost afraid to ask....

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lamb Kidney? :eek:

I remember reading this was acceptable feeding for axies in the biology section of my high school (I'm sorry, I cant remember where it was written or who by as it was when I first had axies 16 or so years ago).

I've been feeding my present axies on this for the past four years with no detrimental effect that I can see anyway...ie. they gulp it down like there is no tomorrow, they are nicely plump but not fat, they are active, they are happy.

I'm sorry, but I cant bring myself to feed them earth worms...poor worms! No one deserves to die like that :wacko:

I've started giving them bloodworms for variety and have been looking for the famous salmon pellots to no avail...I am in Melbourne Australia.

I've looked through the forum, kidney info sites and I cant count how many other reference sites, if anyone knows for a fact that kidney is damageing to axies health however I will...try...worm...I just wont look!

Any thoughts? Cheers J

Once you try an earthworm you will be glad you did. The axies love them. Especially nice wriggly ones. My 2 usually gulp them down in one go and I'm talking big worms. I used to cut them in half but they are managing fine with keeping them whole. Don't worry you don't see anything nasty, the worm is gone before it knows whats hit it.

Because you don't see the lamb suffering doesn't mean it didn't suffer at all. It is not a question of 'deserving to die' for the worm in question, it's taking responsibility as a pet owner and providing it with food that resembles it's natural diet as close as possible. Lambs, or any mammals for that matter, don't fit in that diet.

For me its a similar process to feeding my human brood. Its a balancing act between maintaining a healthy balanced nutritional diet and feeding them what they like. I have Brocolli eaters and haters.

My axie brood are fed a store bought blend of beef hearts, insects, vitamins and minerals which they love and fits the nutritional brief, although highly unlikely to be found in their natural environment.

My kids would prefer Mc Donalds as a staple

Because you don't see the lamb suffering doesn't mean it didn't suffer at all. It is not a question of 'deserving to die' for the worm in question, it's taking responsibility as a pet owner and providing it with food that resembles it's natural diet as close as possible. Lambs, or any mammals for that matter, don't fit in that diet.

In my view coendeurloo, taking 'responsibility' as a pet owner is providing your pet with a nutritional diet rather than natural.

I think you'll find that not many pets are fed anything resembling their 'natural diet' and they thrive. But this would depend on what you mean by 'resemblence' - resembling what? Resembling animal, vegetable or mineral content? Resembling size?

For example, brine shrimp is an excellent source of nutrition for young axolotls - but I think you will agree that it does not resemble their natural diet in the wild. Brine Shrimp is from Salt water lakes, Axolotls are from fresh water. Brine Shrimp does resemble the 'size' of daphnia/bloodworm and has similar nutritional value to the young axie.

Just because I am reluctant to feed a worm alive to my axies, does not make me an unresponsible pet owner! There are other options. For example, salmon pellets are endorsed as an excellent staple for the adult axolotl - Nutritious diet yes, Natural diet no. Unfortunately for me, I cant seem to get these in Australia.

And by the way, even the earthworm only 'resembles' a natural diet for axies. Even in moist soil a worm can drown, for an axie to find one in its natural habitat lake would be rare. In floods, worms can be washed into a water body - the axie would have to be in the right place at the right time. Blood worm is a more natural source of food for axies, earthworm simply has more 'nutrients'.

Jacq, every aquarium I have been in sells salmon pellets so not sure why you have not been able to find some - they are very common. Where abouts are you based in Australia? I am sure if there are no shops in your local area that sell them, you could get another place to post them to you. My axolotl loves them :)

Edit: just saw where you are based, in Melb same as me! Ok go to Subscape Aquarium in Richmond (310 Victoria St) and they have massive bags of pellets. :) Or if they are out I am sure they can order them for you.

Last edited:
Just because I am reluctant to feed a worm alive to my axies, does not make me an unresponsible pet owner!

Hi Jacq,

You're right there. It doesn't make you a negligent.
The main reason as to why people suggest worms is because it's "all the goodness packed into one". However, this can still be achieved with a balanced nutritional diet. That is, you can very well obtain the necessary nutrients from one source and then another, and that still amounts to a healthy diet. For instance, humans do not have one source of food that we eat predominately to obtain all the essential amino acids for peptide/polypeptide formations; we consume a range of foods.

Anyway, best of luck with your axolotl!

Jay.

Thanks Sarah...or do you prefer Sas? :)

I usually go to the aquarium in Coburg. I tried three members of staff there - they don't sell them.

I'll give Subscape a try. I work in the city so there goes my lunch break ;-) Many thanks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back