Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

refridgerate or not refridgerate

ali000

Reaction score
Well, I feel I have tried everything :(
I got my Axie 2 weeks ago and as yet he hasn't eaten:( I thought he ate a worm a few days ago but I have just found it under a rock, so he must have spat it back out. Also his belly looks very bloated and he hasn't pooed (probably because he hasn't eaten), so I have decided that if he refuses to eat today then he's going in the fridge.

I have a couple of questions, do you put them in a tub with their own tank water or do you give them fresh? (I have a lovely source of fresh pond water in the garden, but would the sudden temp drop upset him?) also, do you continue to try to feed them when they are in there?
Finally (sorry) when do you get them back out? is it when they start to eat again?

I just can't think what the problem could be, The tank is 3ft with sand substrate, 2 different hidey holes, lots of plants and an under gravel filter so barely any water movement. I have just tested the water parameters, temp= 18C, Ammonia = 0, nitrate = 0, nitrite = a small amount but barely on the scale. pH = 7.5
I'm baffled :confused::confused::confused:

Kal El

Reaction score
Hi ali000,

Seems like everybody has the common problem with they're axolotls refusing food. And seeing as your chemical paramaters are fine (apart from the nitrite; not unless you got that confused with nitrate- very easy to do), refrigeration does seem like your best bet for now.

You say that you only got the axolotl back a couple of weeks ago, well it could be stressed out from the move and change of scenery. I've been to a few aquariums and they usually have same problem as you are now due to transport. How did you introduce your axolotl into the tank?

Refrigerating your axolotl should help it defecate, and reduce any stress that it may be experiencing. You should change the tub with fresh dechlorinated water- use a water conditioner/ager. You can try feeding your axolotl while it's in the fridge but most axolotls (from what I read) tend to regurgitate the food back up because of the cooler environment. Regarding the pond water: I wouldn't advice that you use this water because it could have contaminants/pathogens that might make your axolotl sick.

Good luck with your axolotl!

Jay.

ali000

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply
as for nitrate/nitrites, yes my mistake, I got them the wrong way round:eek:

When we got him we just floated him in the bag for a while and then gently emptied him into the tank.... was this wrong?:(

how long do you recommend I keep him in the fridge for? I won't necessarily know he's better if he's not eating there

Kal El

Reaction score
Try leaving your axolotl in the fridge for about a week, and then return it to tank. But not directly of course because you have to match the temperature difference. Then once when it's back in the tank, try feeding it again and hopefully your problem should will be resolved.

About the introduction to the tank: if you poured the water in the bag along with your axolotl into the tank, that poses a problem because you never know how "clean" the aquarium water is. It is better to float the bag (which you did :D) and then use a net to scoop your axolotl out and then let it go into the tank.

Also, what is your tank set-up like?

Jay.

ali000

Reaction score
Thanks
it has sand substrate a clay pot as a cave and some driftwood, which also acts as a cave. it also has several real plants, mainly vallis.
It was set up for about 3 weeks and the driftwood was thoroughly soaked before I added it.

ali000

Reaction score
I checked on him a few minutes ago, he's been there for about 3 hours (I'll leave him alone now I promise:D) the first thing I have noticed is his gills have now suddenely got a lot more colour in them, they were always rather pale and now they are bright reddy/pink... is this good? or is he suffering from lack of oxygen

digger

Reaction score
The colder the water the more oxygen so i wouldnt worry, my leucistics gills are always brighter when he is totally chilled out.
Normally they go quite pale when he needs to poo, once he has been he is much more colourful and relaxed.]The strange thing is my two wild do not change at all.

ali000

Reaction score
Thanks
Hopefully I'll find a huge poo tomorrow and all will be well

another question...:eek:. I'm thinking of giving him about a week in the fridge, do I do daily water changes? there is a bottle of naturally dechlorinated water in the fridge so it's of the same temp.

digger

Reaction score
Yeah, change all the water daily this way you will ensure he doesnt become ill due to fouling.

cb rept

Reaction score
Hi, im new to this site and this is my first posting,:eek: after reading over your correspondences i have a few questions for you, (also, i have 6 axies so maby i could help as well) my first question is how old is your axie? also what kind of substrate was it previousley in with? Back when i first got into axolotls i bought 4 and had two die from impactions that they aquired from their previous owner. My last question is what type of filtration system you currently have for your set-up? I hope that everything goes as well as possible for now and i await your response. Good luck
-Bryan

ali000

Reaction score
Hi,
not sure of the age exactly but he/she is about 16cm, I don't think he/she has reached sexual maturity yet (no black toes)
at the shop he was on a bare bottomed tank and now he's on sand
I have an under gravel filter, but I do have a spare filter that sits inside the tank if that is better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!