Semi-Paralyzed Duskies

cecalak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I am in need of some advice from anyone with experience keeping plethodontids and other amphibians. Currently, I am caring for 3 duskys (2 conanti and 1 fuscus). Of the 2 conanti that were kept together, I noticed last week that one is in fact somewhat paralyzed. This is a new condition where he can feed, but his forelimbs are not functioning properly, nor does he seem to be able to move the vertebrae in this area, but the remainder of his body is functioning and moving properly. The other conanti is healthy, has been separated, and continues to appear healthy. The fuscus that was kept separately from the two conanti has also developed partial paralysis in the hind half of his body. While physical trauma is potentially possible for the conanti, there were no signs of physical injury, and I am concerned that it is some type of pathogen that jumped containers. I am particularly concerned because I also have some peepers that I hope are not being infected by whatever this is. But, yesterday, I noticed that one of them was disoriented while jumping and somewhat sluggish and reluctant to use its forelimbs. I am planning to euthanize the "sick" animals, but I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this or has any idea what I'm dealing with? I should also say that all of these animals were wild caught but have been kept in captivity for at least 10 months.
Thanks for any help!
Kristen

I have no idea what the problem might be, however I have experienced a similar problem with my very first salamander. He was a Northern Two lined salamander, another of the lungless variety. It started with just one hind leg which he tuked up to his side. Then his entire rear half became paralyzed. Sadly he did not last long after this, He was also wild caught. Unfortunately this does sound like some sort of pathogen I only wish I knew what kind

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back