Suitable food?

It depends on the newt. Most newt's won't even consider touching pellets, however, some species such as C.orientalis and axolotls will readily devour them. My C.orientalis loves sinking food pellets, they work well when I am fresh out of live food.

I'd say probably not. It's made for fish, not newts. The formulations are probably not appropriate for caudates. ReptoMin is pretty good, but pellets should not be the newt's staple diet.

Sorry if I was misunderstood, but I posted this in the Axolotl section? And those are Salamanders? And people feed their axies trout pellets, which are made for trout, which are fish. I thought these might have been similar to the trout pellets, so I was asking if they were suitable. Did I post in the wrong spot?

Did I post in the wrong spot?

No, you didn't, sorry my mistake! I did mention axolotls in my previous post though. The pellets are labeled carnivore pellets so they may be appropriate. I'm not completely sure if they would be the equivalent of trout pellets though as they were formulated for bottom feeding fishes, which trout are not.

Sorry my mistake too.:eek: I did some reading and I'm still not sure.

Those sinking carnivore pellets by Hikari are pretty good quality stuff. I wouldn't have any reservations about feeding those to my theoretical axolotls as a part of their diet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back