Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Capturing?

xandert

Reaction score
I've been reading through the various forums, finding all sorts of great information to educate myself about axies before my first ones arrive. But I have a question - one of those "I hope I never need it, but..." type of things. What kind of net or such should I have on hand in case I ever need to catch my axies to move them or fridge them or anything along those lines? Would I want to get one of those softer white nets versus the green aquarium fish nets? I know their skin is sensitive, along with the risk of them getting caught in the net, so I want to make sure I have the right tools on hand should I need them.

Dawn T

Saspotato

Reaction score
Hi Dawn, catching an axolotl in a net is no big deal so don't worry if you have to do it :) I just have a large standard net from an aquarium shop - I got a big one so my axolotl won't get bent when I catch him. But if you would rather get a soft net, go for it :)

When you catch them they may wriggle for a bit but as long as you get them back in water quick they will be fine!

inkozana

Reaction score
I cradle my axie in my hands, he's used to it now and will hang onto me with his tail -not literally like a bungy jump or something haha, but it's basically just like picking up a sea cucumber in my eyes, you just have to make sure that you are supporting them well.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dawn,

The skin is senstive but either net you have selected is fine. It is mainly the gills and feet that can be tangled up and damaged by catching axies in a net - but if you are careful this should not be an issue. The larger the net frame the better - I go for the shallowest sock though so I dont have to dig for him and freak him out.

When catching axie in net, if you miss the axie on the first try, dont chase him. Let him settle down after a few minutes and then try again. If he is panicking, he can damage himself.

If you are confident you can also use your hands. Dont just use one hand though! One hand behind the head and the other about the hind legs - I've attached a picture of this. Transport them as quickly as you can to their destination as holding them for too long can effect their slimecoat.

My axies eye off my hands...if one hand comes in the tank that means food and they'll come charging up. If both hands enter the tank, they've suddenly got pressing business on the opposite end of the tank ;)

Cheers J.

Attachments

• Holding.jpg
    Holding.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 165

ali000

Reaction score
Hi, I understand your worries
I had to net my axie to fridge him for the first time yesterday, I was very worried and a bit nervous as I wasn't too sure how he'd react... but he was as good as gold, I caught him in a large green aquarium net, well, I say 'caught' but there wasn't much catching involved he kind of strolled into it, and then he happily climbed into the tupperware pot that I had ready and floating on the surface of his tank.
so don't worry too much, he was a lot easier than trying to catch a fish:D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a plastic container to scoop mine out. Slow gentle movements until the container is over the axolotl, then I slide the lid over it and lift axolotl and water out. All then other methods for me resulted in me getting a good soaking:D

xandert

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I really appreciate all the feedback and ideas. I used to use the soft white nets for my fish, as I had a couple of species that would try to tangle in the coarse green ones, and I wondered if those were the way to go for axies. Afraid I won't be able to convince myself to pick them up with my bare hands. They may be cute, but.... :D I never could convince myself to touch fish with my bare hands either, unless I HAD to (like to untangle a pleco from a green fish net). I like the container idea, too! No net to worry about at all then, as long as I have maneuvering room in the tank.

MUCH appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and suggestions! :happy:

Dawn T

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1