Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding 'lotl fish.

inkozana

Reaction score
I would like to get some live, small fish to put into my tank WITH my axolotl. I want him to eat them, but I don't want them to eat him!
Also, I'm not sure if he will know to eat them, or if he will just leave them there.
How do I go about 'teaching' him to eat the fishies? And what sort of fish should I get? :wacko:

Saspotato

Reaction score
I would recommend guppies - they are nutritional and can live in the same temperatures and environment as an axolotl. You could breed them yourself (they breed like rabbits!) and feed your axolotl the babies? I would only use baby ones as like most fish, when they are larger they will most likely nip at your axolotl. You'd probably want 3-4 females and a male for breeding and they have about 30-40 babies after 30 days gestation.

Alternatively you could buy guppies from a pet shop but you will need to quarantine them for 30 days before feeding so would need a separate tank.

As far as teaching your axolotl to eat them, well I don't think you have to worry. My axolotl had never been given live food but ate 10 guppies in the first few days I tried them!

inkozana

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the help. I have a spare tank that I was using for salt baths. I can keep the guppies in there.

*runs off to research guppies*

philbaker76

Reaction score
I'm thinking of setting up some feeder fish, got a tank ready - my local Aquatics recommended Endler Guppies or something like that. Should be getting some in a few weeks.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a tank of guppies for feeding my axolotl. I started with 5 females and 2 males and now have zillions ( well quite a lot!). I hadn't looked at them as any thing but food, but I have become quite attached to a few as they are a right mixture of colours. When they get to a reasonable size they get put in the tank and are gone in a day or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!