how endangerd are axies?

Yes, I believe that is the case due to the reduction in their normal habitats (a few lakes in Mexico). One of the lakes no longer exists as it was drained to stop flooding and the other lake has been reduced for the same reason. However, axolotls are plentiful in captivity so as a whole, the species is not likely to go extinct. :)

that is kinda sad though...

in the next few years, theres a chance there might not be any true wild axies IN THE WILD...

makes me kinda guilty for having them :sad:

dont feel guilty! the more people there are breeding them then the larger the captive population will be and the more likely that some will be released back into the wild! so its actually a good thing... sort of.

that is kinda sad though...

in the next few years, theres a chance there might not be any true wild axies IN THE WILD...

makes me kinda guilty for having them :sad:

I wouldn't feel bad, the taking of axolotls for research did little to hurt their populations. The lakes that made up the axolotl's range in the wild have become part of Mexico City and been reduced to canals. If it wasn't for the axolotls that are kept in captivity there might not be any of these animals left at all.

Right, the wild population and the captive population are two completely separate entities. Having captives does no harm to the wild ones. No matter how bad things are for the wild ones, what we do with the captive population makes little difference to them one way or another.

I don't see captive axolotls as providing much hope for repopulation in the wild. Our axolotls are not only inbred, but they've been crossed with tiger salamanders (in the early years when they were being developed as a lab animal). Thus the genetics of the captive population can never be the same as the wild ones. We could put them into the wild in the original location, but they wouldn't really be the same animal.

Not to mention that their wild habitat just doesn't exist any more. There's really very little chance of reintroduction due to habitat loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back