Please Help Warty newt!!!!

wildsky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently rescued a pair of Hong Kong Warty Newts from this really lousy pet shop a few miles from where I live. This shop is really bad with dead and deiseased fish in the tanks, and both fish and amphibians incorrectly labeled. (The Warties were labeled as fire bellied newts.) The female died within a few days and the male Gavin seems to be suffering from mouth rot. His temps are fine, water ph is neutral and nitrite is zero and he is feeding but he is slowly getting worse. I have seen 5 t0 10 minute baths in a stong solution of Interpet fugus and finrot fish treatment recomended and also tea and salt baths recomended but a scared to try these in case they kill him as I have never used them before and dont know the correct concentration or duration for the salt baths.
Please help me I really dont want him to die he is such a sweetie despite all he has been through, any advice would be really welcome.

I suggest using the chemicals as a last resort, particularly as they are formulated for fish not amphibians.
Half a tea spoon of pure salt(sea salt or similar, table salt istreated with agents to stop it sticking together) in a pint of warm aged tap water works for me.

why on earth do you do a 'rescue' in such a shop?

Don't you understand dat the moment you buy the animals, other animals are already shipped towards the shop?
when you buy animals, you stimulate the market. The best solution for such animals is to let them die in the shop. When nobody buys them, there is no market for them.

Hi wildsky,

I would strongly recommend getting him to vet - if there is a severe mouth infection and it's getting worse despite improved conditions, then appropriate antimicrobials are probably the only thing with a reasonable chance of helping him. You will need to get them from a vet, who will also be able to take samples to identify any pathogens so that the appropriate treatment can be adminsitered.

Yes i wouldnt recomend using fish treatments as some can be toxic to caudates, keep trying with the salt baths and a vet would be a good idea,
as harsh as it sounds i agree with Rob the pet shop is just going to buy more to sell and cause them to suffer so in the long run its best to leave the sick animals die in the shop.
hope this helps.

i have seen this alot with paramesotriton imports. even some who look ok will get this way after you bring them home. i treated my last shipment with batryl, but since that isn't an option for you...right now I would remove him from water. let him sit on damp paper towels only in a critter keeper. this will allow the wound to dry out and give the bacteria a harder time. mine ate medium crickets fine on land-see if yours will do the same. if he eats and is kept drier his immune system may win the battle and he can recover. if you can get him to a vet then ask for a 10% batryl solution-you will keep him in the same set up but will apply the batyrl topically to the dampened skin -about 1 drop per inch of full length of the newt. do this daily for 10 days. this is what i do and it work for these newts.

Last edited:
I agree with Paris-the wounds will be easier to treat if the animal is 'on land'. Flamazine cream from the vet applied topically with a cotton bud is a good way to treat these infections, and has a good success rate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back