Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

gills curved inward

ali000

Reaction score
two of my axie's gills are curved inward, I know this is a sign of stress from too much water movement, the thing is, in his tank I only have an under gravel filter, so the only movement is the air bubbles at one end, he's also not eating and so has been in the fridge for 3 days now and is therefore experience no water movement at all apart from a gentle bit each day at water change time. his gills are still curved, does anyone know how long it will take for him to get over the stress, also is there any other sort of stress that causes this, I can't believe the few gentle bubbles would be too much water movement :confused:

ali000

Reaction score
he's not in the tank at the moment, but I will certainly remember that for when he goes back :D cheers

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Undergravel filters are notorious for not being very effective. I suspect that if you pull up the filter plate, clouds of crud will follow. They're really only moderately effective with a powerful sump or powerhead on them. They don't work well with bubblers or air stones.

I would guess that your water quality is taking a turn for the worse.

digger

Reaction score
Have you checked your waters parameters, as i also would not be surprised if the filtration was the problem.
If you havent checked them i would strongly recommend you do.
You can post the results here and some one will always help if there is a problem.

ali000

Reaction score
What room in your house do you have the tank situated?
The living room, main family room....why? could too much movement around the room affect it?

I've got a digital pH probe and temp probe, pH = 7.4, temp 18C

API ammonia test strips 0ppm
Merck all in one nitrite/nitrate test strips, both 0ppm

anything else I need to test for?

I dont have a test for chlorine, but the water I use sits in a large container in the house for several days before it's used so I would expect that to be 0

gr33neyes

Reaction score
It depends on how large your family is Ali. If the room is particularly noisy or brightly lit at night it may be disturbing them.
Is there anyone in the house tapping on the tank glass and stressing it out. Any other pets lurking near the tank (such as cats?) Do you have fairly loud music playing at times?
Everyones house is different, it doesn't hurt to rule out some possibilities.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those tests may not be accurate. "Dip" strips are notoriously inaccurate, and expire quite quickly. I suggest investing in liquid drop (titration) test kits, or dry tab kits. Try taking a sample to the local aquarium shop and comparing that to your test kits.

ali000

Reaction score
It depends on how large your family is Ali. If the room is particularly noisy or brightly lit at night it may be disturbing them.
Is there anyone in the house tapping on the tank glass and stressing it out. Any other pets lurking near the tank (such as cats?) Do you have fairly loud music playing at times?
Everyones house is different, it doesn't hurt to rule out some possibilities.

the tank is dark at night, we do have a cat but I haven't seen him anywhere near the tank (but I'll keep an eye on him) we also have a 5yo who has been brought up with lots of fish tanks around so 'should' no better, I haven't seen her tapping the tank. We don't have really load music but I will keep an eye on whether there are times that stress him more than others, at the moment he's in the fridge so very quiet :D, I will also get the water tested professionally, thanks Kaysie

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you do have a cat, just make sure that it can't get into the tanks. They may look sweet and innocent, but any cat owner knows better.

digger

Reaction score
Have your axies got plenty of hidey holes and/or plants to hide away in?
Plants also help deflect the flow of water.

rich

Reaction score
Hi ya ali, being in your family room i suspect that allot of travaling in and out of the room happens? (walking in and out) Water will pic up on the tiny vibrations an this could be the cause of the stress (can somebody commont if this could cause stress in axies? i know it can in fish) Well if this is the case, you could places polostyrene under the tank, this should stop the vibrations, or at least mimimize the vibrations. (im an animal care student and all of the tanks at my college sit on poloysteren as of the vibrations)...just something to think about

ali000

Reaction score
Hi
most of the time the room is empty, adults at work kids at school etc, HOWEVER..... I got him at the start of the school holidays (2 and a bit weeks back) so he did recieve a lot of fuss, routine is now back to normal so maybe he will settle doen, although I really like like polystyrene idea...thanks Rich, I will be following that.
Digger, the axie is currently in the fridge:( but yes, he had 2 hidey holes and lots of plants
Kaysie, I have owned cats for nearly 30 years and am very well aware of what b******s they are, we also have 4 fish tanks (mainly cichlids) as well as Askeys tank, they all have lids.... with kids and cats I wouldn't have it any other way, we also have 2 big avaries containing chipmunks. They are a little harder to police:grin:

ali000

Reaction score
:grin: it's been less like one since the aged rats, gerbils and rabbits died:rolleyes:

I've always been a bit animal mad and have had to tone down loads since meeting hubby and having our own animals (offspring ;))

my greatest dream is a rescued greyhound, I love them and there is a sanctuary just up the road from us where we go and walk them at the weekend (3 or 4 at a time) but hubby is digging his heals in.... he's right of course :rolleyes: we both work etc etc

philbaker76

Reaction score
Are the "curved gills" the only sign of stress? - mine curve their gills at the drop of a hat, when they're eating (or sniffing out the food). If it's not constant, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ali000

Reaction score
no, he's not eating either, which is why he's in the fridge, but they do look less curved today... perhaps he's starting to chill:cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1