GBR Press: The high cost of protecting newts

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
LANCASHIRE EVENING POST (Preston, UK) 15 April 08 The high cost of protecting newts
The endangered greater crested newt have saddled Lancashire's taxpayers with a hefty bill.
The cost of protecting the newt from the development of the bypass at Broughton, near Preston, is running into thousands of pounds.
Details released under the Freedom of Information Act show that Lancashire County Council has so far shelled out £49,000 ($US 96,980) on ecological costs of the development, a large chunk of which is to protect the newts found on site – and will spend an extra £21,000 ($US 41,560) on consultants costs in the future.
On the Heysham to M6 Link Road, the county council has also spent a whopping £614,000 ($US 1,215,000) on its ecological costs – in just six years.
County Coun Matthew Tomlinson, cabinet member for environment and transportation, said the costs of hiring environmental experts to carry out such studies were actually a legal requirement for major road schemes.
He said: "We have to carry out surveys to establish what is present on or near the site and to establish if there is any potential harm caused by the development."
A spokesman for Natural England said the costs were a small price to pay for protecting a species which is almost unique to the Red Rose County.
http://www.lep.co.uk/weirdnews/The-high-cost-of-protecting.3980993.jp

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back