GBR Press: Newt way of securing lottery cash for charity

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
EVENING TELEGRAPH (Peterborough, UK) 19 April 08 Newt way of securing lottery cash for charity (Tara Dundon)
A protected species of black and yellow newts has helped to secure more than £49,000 lottery funding in a bid to spread amphibian affection across the city.
Heritage Lottery Fund money will allow the Hampton-based wildlife charity Froglife to put on two year’s worth of events aimed at raising interest and awareness of amphibians and other wildlife in the area.
And the great crested newts are to take a star-turn, as many of the events will be focused around Hampton Nature Reserve, in Cygnet Park, Europe’s largest and most important colony, which was recently the star of a hit BBC television show.
The new funding means schools, local youth groups and communities will be able to access and learn about the site, discovering more about the newts and other wildlife, as well as about local heritage significance of the site.
Froglife’s Sam Goodlet said: “Peterborough is lucky enough to be home to a stronghold of these lovely black and yellow crested dragons.
“We’re so pleased that we’ll be able to show more people around Hampton Nature Reserve and bolster local pride.”
A former brickpit, the landscape at Hampton Nature Reserve is full of ponds and hills that a variety of wildlife has chosen to call home.
The private land is owned by O&H Hampton Ltd, and has been preserved as a special area for wildlife to thrive.
Ms Goodlet added: “Thanks to this funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Peterborough residents are going to be hearing a lot more about Hampton Nature Reserve, and get a chance to be involved in a programme of exciting walks and talks that we’re running.”
General manager of O&H Hampton Limited, which sponsors Froglife’s work on the reserve, Roger Tallowin said: “I am delighted to know that the Froglife team has won lottery funding as I know that they will work hard to use this money to best advantage for both young and old.”
- To find out more about upcoming opportunities to access Hampton Nature Reserve, call Sam Goodlet at Froglife 01733 558844, or e-mail info@froglife.org
http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Newt-way-of-securing-lottery.4000652.jp

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back